Asian Countries Capitals and Currencies – Complete list of all countries of Asia. Also read some interesting facts about Asia.
- Asia is the World’s largest continent – 43,810,582 km². covering approximately 30% of the Earth’s land and 8.66% of the Earth’s surface.
- It is bordered by the Ural Mountains to the east, the Arctic Ocean to the north, the Pacific Ocean to the west and the Indian Ocean to the south.
Asian Countries Capitals & Currencies
|Akrotiri and Dhekelia||Episkopi|
|Brunei dollar||Bahasa Melayu|
|Flying Fish Cove||Australian|
region of China
region of China
|Saudi Arabia||Riyadh||Saudi riyal||Arabic|
|Sri Lanka||Colombo||Sri Lankan|
|United Arab Emirates||Abu Dhabi||UAE dirham||Arabic|
som (O’zbekiston so’mi)
Area : 44,579,000 sq. km.Facts About Asian Continent
- Countries : 48
- Literacy Rate : 65.5%
- Largest Country : China
- Highest Peak : Mount Everest, 8,848 meters (29,029 feet) above sea level
- Lowest Point : Dead Sea, 422 meters (1,384.5 feet) below sea level
- Principal Religions : Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Shintoism, Taoism, Zoroastrianism
- Major Languages : Chinese, Hindi, Bengali, Japanese, Punjabi, Javanese, Korean
The word ‘Asia‘ originated from an Ancient Greek word ‘Ασία‘, first attributed to Herodotus (about 440 BC) in reference to Anatolia, or for the purposes of describing the Persian Wars, to the Persian Empire, in contrast to Greece and Egypt.
- It originally referred to the east bank of the Aegean Sea, an area known to the Hittites as ‘Assuwa‘.
- It could have originated from an Aegean root ‘Asis‘, which means “muddy and silty”.
- It derived from a borrowed Semitic root ‘Asu‘, which means “rising” or “light,” which refers to the sunrise, Asia thus meaning ‘Eastern Land’.
- In Greek mythology, “Asia” (Ἀσία) or “Asie” (Ἀσίη) was the name of a Nymph or Titan goddess of Lydia.
Ancient continent name: Assuwa has been suggested as the origin for the name of the continent “Asia.”
Population: Most Populous Continent – Approximately 4.1 billion people (60% of the world’s current human population) live in Asia.
Location: Asia is the world’s largest continent and is traditionally defined as a part of the landmass of Eurasia—with the western portion of Eurasia occupied by Europe. Asia occupies the eastern part of the Eurasian landmass and the adjacent islands and is separated from Europe by the Ural Mountains.
- It is located to the east of the Suez Canal, east of the Ural Mountains, and south of the Caucasus Mountains and the Caspian and Black Seas.
- It is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the south by the Indian Ocean, and on the north by the Arctic Ocean
Economy and Currencies: Asia has the second largest nominal GDP of all continents after Europe but the largest when measured in (Purchase Power Parity)PPP. The largest economies in Asia are China, Japan, India, South Korea, and Indonesia. Speaking of currency, there are different kinds of currencies used across Asia.
Languages: Asia is home to several language families and many language isolates. Most Asian countries have more than one language that is natively spoken.
- More than 780 languages spoken in India
- More than 700 living languages are spoken in Indonesia
- More than 170 indigenous languages are spoken in the Philippines
- China has many languages and dialects in various provinces
Colonization: Colonization in Asia traces its roots back to the late 15th century with a series of voyages that sought a sea passage to India in the hope of establishing direct spice trade between Europe and Asia. Before 1500, European economies were largely self-sufficient, only supplemented by minor trade with Asia and Africa. Within the next century, however, European and Asian economies were slowly becoming integrated through the rise of new global trade routes.
Important facts About Asia:
- The polymath Rabindranath Tagore, a Bengali poet, dramatist, and writer from Santiniketan, now in West Bengal, India, became in 1913 the first Asian Nobel laureate.
- .The highest point in the World, is Mount Everest (8,848 m), situated in the Tibetan region of the Himalayas.
- The longest river in Asia and third longest in the World is the Yangtze (6,211 km) which flows through China.
- The largest desert in Asia is the Gobi desert measuring 281,800 km².
- All the popular religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Budism) are rooted in Asia.
- 90% of the rice on the earth is consumed in Asian countries
- Contrary to common belief, most of the tigers live in Asia, not in Africa.
- Indonesia is the largest country composed of islands. There are 17,508 islands around the country and 6,000 of these islands are inhabited by people.
- From the 7,000 year old Sumer civilization in Mesopotamia to the 6,000 year old Indus Valley Civilization in India, ancient culture is rich in Asia.
- India is known to be the Highest producer of mangoes in the world, with close to 12 million tons each year.
- In Vietnam, people measure their age according to the number of Vietnamese New Years (aka Tets) they have lived. This brings it to the fact that all Vietnamese share the same birthday.
- The first ever farmers and merchants were Asians.
- Asians were the first to use ‘writing’ as an activity.
– Asian Countries Capitals Currencies
Read our Trending Posts