Current Affairs – January 27 2023
Current Affairs – January 27 2023. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2023 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2023 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
Current Affairs – January 27 2023
1. Mohammad Siraj becomes no.1 bowler in ICC Men’s ODI player rankings
Mohammad Siraj has grabbed the top position for bowlers in the ICC Men’s ODI Player Rankings after a superb show in the home series against New Zealand which his team won 3-0 to take No.1 position in the team rankings
Other Indian bowlers to be No. 1 in the ODI rankings are Kapil Dev, Maninder Singh, Anil Kumble, Ravindra Jadeja, and Jasprit Bumrah.
2. Canada to Commercialise World’s First Photonic-based Quantum Computer
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced a new federal investment to build and commercialise the world’s first photonic-based, fault-tolerant quantum computer.
According to a news release from the Prime Minster’s website, the investment of 40 million Canadian dollars ($32 million) will enable Xanadu Quantum Technologies Inc.,
3. Naresh Lalwani has been appointed as new General Manager of Central Railway
Naresh Lalwani has been appointed General Manager of Central Railway. He is a senior officer from the 1985 batch of the Indian Railway Engineering Service.
- He was Senior Deputy General Manager and Chief Vigilance Officer of Western Railway before becoming General Manager of Central Railway.
- He succeeded Ashok Kumar Misra, General Manager of Western Railway, who was also in charge of Central Railway.
4. Babar Azam has been selected for ICC Men’s Cricketer of year 2022
In the 2022 ICC Awards, Babar won both the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy and the Men’s ODI Cricketer of the Year, beating out tough fields in both categories.
- A year after being named ‘ODI Cricketer of the Year’ in 2021, the flamboyant hitter continued to dominate international cricket, being the first player to score 2000 runs in all forms in 2022.
- Babar easily surpassed that mark, accumulating 2,598 runs at an impressive average of 54.12.
5. Conferment of 106 Padma Awards
Padma Awards is a presented to honor people from different fields such as social work, education, literature, public affairs, education, etc. It is one of the highest civilian awards presented in the country. The award is presented in three categories namely Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan, and Padma Shri. Padma Awards are presented by the President of India.
Here is the List of Padma Awards.
6. International Customs Day 2023 observed on 26th January
The World Customs Organisation (WCO) marks International Customs Day on 26th January every year. The day is dedicated to spreading awareness about the role Customs authorities play in the seamless movement of goods across borders and their importance in the cross-border regulatory apparatus.
This year, the theme of International Customs Day is ‘Nurturing the next generation: Promoting a culture of knowledge-sharing and professional pride in Customs.’
7. Indian Railways Launches ‘Ideal Train Profile’ Maximize Seat Utilization
The Indian Railways has successfully concluded the trial of an Artificial Intelligence Programme it built to fix the endless problem of the Waiting list. The Indian Railways has also introduced the Ideal Train Profile to maximize the capacity utilization and revenue generation in reserved mail express trains by regularly analyzing the demand pattern of every single train.
The AI module has been developed by an in-house team led by R Gopalakrishnan of the Centre of Railways Information System (CRIS). The module is completed after an extensive effort by the team for over two years.
8. Sabir Ali, Iron Man of India, passes away at the age of 67
‘Ironman of India’ Sabir Ali, who won the decathlon gold at the 1981 Asian Athletics Championships in Tokyo, passed away. He was 67. Ali, who retired from Railways, won the title in the Japanese capital with a tally of 7,253 points beating Japan’s Nobuya Saito (7,078) and China’s Zu Qilin (7,074). He also won two silver medals at the South Asian Federation Games held in Kathmandu and Dhaka.
9. International Holocaust Remembrance Day observed on 27th January
Every year, International Holocaust Remembrance Day is observed on January 27 to reflect on the atrocities inflicted by Adolf Hitler, which resulted in the deaths of an estimated six million Jews. The day commemorates the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in January 1945 from Nazi control.
The theme “Home and Belonging” guides United Nations Holocaust remembrance and education in 2023.
10. Republic Day 2023
India to celebrate its 74th Republic Day on 26th January 2023. On this day, the Constitution of India was adopted in the year 1950. Republic Day is one of the most important National Holidays in India which is also known as Gantantra Diwas.
- 26th January 1950 makes the establishment of the Indian Constitution was prepared by the members of the Constituent Assembly which emerged after the brutal colonial past.
11. Visakhapatnam Railway Station awarded ‘Green Railway Station Certificate’
East Coast Railways‘ Visakhapatnam railway station has received the prestigious ‘Green Railway Station Certification’ with the highest Platinum rating. The certificate has been awarded by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) for adopting green concepts. It secured 82 out of 100 points in six environmental categories.
12. India Signed MoU Between Prasar Bharati and National Media Authority of Egypt
India and Egypt signed an MOU to facilitate content exchange, capacity building, and Co-Productions between Prasar Bharati and the National Media Authority of Egypt. The MoU was signed by Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting, Youth Affairs, and Sports Anurag Singh Thakur, and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Government of Egypt, Sameh Hassan Shoukry.
The MoUs were exchanged between the two countries in the presence of the Prime Minister of India and the President of Egypt following the delegation-level talks between the two sides at Hyderabad House in New Delhi.