Suman Kumari has become the first Hindu woman in Pakistan to be appointed as a civil judge. Suman, who hails from Qambar-Shahdadkot, will serve in her native district. She passed her LLB. examination from Hyderabad and did her masters in law from Karachi’s Szabist University.
The first judge from the Hindu community was Justice Rana Bhagwandas, who served as the acting chief justice for brief periods between 2005 and 2007. Hindus make up nearly 2 per cent of Pakistan’s total population and Hinduism remains the second largest religion in Pakistan after Islam.
Did You Know?
- Pakistan is the world’s first Islamic country to attain nuclear power.
- The name Pakistan means ‘land of the pure’ in Persian and Urdu.
- Two people have won the Nobel Prize from Pakistan. Malala Yousafzai for Peace in 2014 and Abdus Salam for Physics in 1979.
- The ‘Khewra Salt Mine’ in Pakistan is the second largest and oldest salt mine in the world.
- Pakistan has the only fertile desert in the world – the Tharparkar desert – located in Sindh province.