Late Captain Shankar Laxman won the coveted Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award while goalkeeper PR Sreejesh and Deepika won the Dhruv Batra Player of the Year Award for Men and Women respectively at the Hockey India (HI) Annual Awards.
- The best hockey players in India and former greats of the game came together for the awards, whose total prize money was in excess of Rs.2 crore.
- The first set of awards marking important milestones in the careers of players began the proceedings.
- The Milestone Awards were presented to Dharamvir Singh, Kothajit Singh, Birendra Lakra and Sushila Chanu for making 100 appearances for India and were presented with a cheque of Rs.50,000.
- Gurbaj Singh and V.R. Raghunath were awarded for turning out in India colours 200 times and were presented with a cheque of Rs.1 lakh each.
- The second set of awards were given in recognition of individual achievements.
- The winners of the Individual Achievement Award for goal on debut were Devindar Walmiki, Harjeet Singh, Nilam Xess, Mohammad Umar, Gaganpreet Singh and Preeti Dubey.
- Raghuprasad RV was also felicitated for making his 100th appearance as an umpire internationally at the 2015 Hockey World League (HWL) Semi-Final in Belgium. The winners of the Individual Achievement Award received a cash prize of Rs.1 lakh each.
To celebrate the historic occasion of the Indian women’s team qualifying for the 2016 Rio Olympics after a gap of 36 years since the Moscow Games, the entire team and the support staff were felicitated. The members of the team were given a cash reward of Rs.1 lakh each.