The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind will confer the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2019 at Rashtrapati Bhawan. The awards will be given to 26 shortlisted awardees including one joint award for National Child Award (now renamed as Bal Shakti Puraskar) under the category of innovation, scholastic, sports, arts & culture, social service and bravery.
These awards will be given in two main categories. Bravery Awards have also been added to these awards now. The categories are as follows:
1) Bal Shakti Puraskar (erstwhile known as National Child Award)
2) Bal Kalyan Puraskar(erstwhile known as National Child Welfare Award).
The names of awardess were finalized by the National Selection Committee under the Chairpersonship of WCD Minister, Maneka Sanjay Gandhi. The Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India has introduced a revamped award scheme under the name of “Pradhan Mantri National Children Awards”.
- Ram Nath Kovind (born 1 October 1945) is an Indian politician currently serving as the 14th President of India, in office since 25 July 2017.
- Previously he had served as the Governor of Bihar from 2015 to 2017 and was a Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha from 1994 to 2006.
- He has served on the Board of management of Dr. B.R Ambedkar University, Lucknow, and as on the Board of Governors of IIM Calcutta.
- He has also represented India at the UN and addressed the United Nations General Assembly in October 2002.
- He is the first leader from Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh to occupy the Office of President of Indi.