Veteran music director Om Prakash Sonik, popularly known as Omi passed away due to brief illness, in a private hospital in Mumbai . He was 77 years old.
- In the early 1950s, Master Sonik got a break to direct music for films like Mamta, Mehfil and Ishwar Bhakti, but their music failed to catch the ears of the listeners.
- Omi was the other half of Bollywood’s well-known blind music director Master Sonik. They both formed Sonik-Omi team which provided music to about 125 Hindi movies between 1950 and 1980s.
- While Master Sonik passed away in 1993, Omi continued to compose music and his last musical track was for the film Biwi No. 2 in 2000, after which he eased into retirement.
- Some of their best-known works are Bhakti Mein Shakti, Dharma, Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya, Sawan Bhadon, Aabroo, Truck Driver, Mehfil, Beti, Dharti Ki God Mein and Raftaar.
- He was born in Sialkot (now Sialkot is Pakistan)and moved to India after Partition in 1947. For the past few years, he remained away from Bollywood, but composed certain non-film and private albums, religious music.
- In the past few years, Omi largely remained away from Bollywood but composed certain non-film and private albums, religious music and other genres of music.