Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has won the 2019 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix in a climatic last set of laps. The reigning world champion dedicated his win to three-time world champion Niki Lauda, who passed away recently. Wearing a helmet painted in a design used by Niki Lauda, the Mercedes non-executive chairman, Hamilton was controlling the race, ahead of Bottas, Verstappen and Vettel, after converting his pole position into a lead a the first corner. Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel and Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas won second and third place respectively.
- Monaco is a sovereign city-state, country, and microstate on the French Riviera in Western Europe.
- France borders the country on three sides while the other side borders the Mediterranean Sea. Monaco is about 15 km from the state border with Italy.
- Monaco has an area of 2.020 km2 (0.780 sq mi), making it the second-smallest country in the world after the Vatican. Its population was about 38,400 based on the last census of 2016.
- Monaco is a principality governed under a form of constitutional monarchy, with Prince Albert II as head of state.
- Economic development was spurred in the late 19th century with the opening of the country’s first casino, Monte Carlo, and a railway connection to Paris.
- Monaco is not formally a part of the European Union (EU), but it participates in certain EU policies, including customs and border controls.
- Through its relationship with France, Monaco uses the euro as its sole currency.