Six-time world women boxing champion MC Mary Kom was named as a brand ambassador for global sportswear giant PUMA for a two-year period. ‘Magnificent Mary’, as she is popularly known as, will be PUMA India’s new ambassador for the company’s women’s training category and shall represent the brand in marketing campaigns in the country.
- Mary Kom is an Indian Olympic boxer from Manipur.
- She is the only woman to become World Amateur Boxing champion for a record six times, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the seven world championships.
- She became the first Indian woman boxer to get a Gold Medal in the Asian Games in 2014 at Incheon, South Korea and is the first Indian woman boxer to win gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- On 26 April 2016, Kom was nominated by the President of India as a member of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament.
- After her sixth world title, the Government of Manipur has conferred on her the title “Meethoi Leima” (loosely translated as great or exceptional lady).
Puma SE, branded as Puma, is a German multinational company that designs and manufactures athletic and casual footwear, apparel and accessories, which is headquartered in Herzogenaurach, Bavaria, Germany. PUMA is the third largest sportswear manufacturer in the world. The company was founded in 1948 by Rudolf Dassler.