“Dive into the fascinating world of nature and environmental science with our GK Quiz on Ecology and Ecosystems. Test your knowledge on topics like biodiversity, ecosystems, environmental impact, and more. Challenge yourself and explore the intricate web of life on Earth in this engaging quiz.”,
GK Quiz on Ecology and Ecosystems
1. What is the term for the interrelationship between living organisms and their physical environment?
2. Which ecosystem is characterized by very low temperatures, short growing seasons, and permafrost?
3. What is the process by which green plants convert sunlight into energy and produce oxygen?
4. Which of the following is a decomposer in an ecosystem?
5. In which layer of the rainforest do you find most of the tall trees and a dense canopy of leaves?
a) Emergent layer
b) Canopy layer
c) Understory layer
d) Forest floor
6. What is the term for the variety of different species living in an ecosystem?
d) Trophic level
7. Which biome is characterized by long, cold winters and coniferous forests?
8. Which gas, when released into the atmosphere, is a major contributor to the greenhouse effect and climate change?
b) Carbon dioxide
9. What is the term for the role an organism plays in its ecosystem, including what it eats and what eats it?
10. What is the primary source of energy in most terrestrial ecosystems?
b) Geothermal heat
11. Which of the following is an example of a keystone species that has a disproportionately large impact on its ecosystem?
c) Red-tailed hawk
12. What term is used to describe the process of converting waste materials into reusable materials in an ecosystem?
13. What is the largest and most diverse ecosystem on Earth, known for its dense vegetation and high rainfall?
14. In which type of symbiosis do both species benefit from the relationship?
15. What is the term for the process of one species evolving to resemble another for protection or other benefits?
16. Which marine ecosystem is characterized by its colorful coral formations and rich biodiversity?
a) Kelp forest
b) Abyssal plain
c) Coral reef
d) Mangrove swamp
17. What is the term for the gradual change in a community’s structure over time in response to environmental conditions?
18. Which of the following is an example of a terrestrial biome characterized by low precipitation and extreme temperature variations?
b) Temperate deciduous forest
19. What is the primary energy source for deep-sea hydrothermal vent ecosystems?
b) Geothermal heat
c) Chemolithotrophic bacteria
d) Tidal energy
20. Which of the following is not a major nutrient for plant growth in terrestrial ecosystems?
21. What is the term for the process of removing salt and other impurities from seawater to make it suitable for drinking and irrigation?
22. Which of the following is a wetland ecosystem characterized by waterlogged soil and a high content of organic material?
23. Which gas is primarily responsible for the depletion of the ozone layer in the Earth’s atmosphere?
a) Carbon dioxide
c) Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
d) Sulfur dioxide
24. What is the term for the process of water evaporating from the leaves of plants in an ecosystem?
25. Which of the following is an example of an apex predator in an ecosystem?
26. What is the term for a community of plants and animals that have common characteristics for a specific region or environment?
b) Trophic level
d) Food web
27. Which of the following is a factor contributing to deforestation and habitat loss in tropical rainforests?
a) Reforestation efforts
b) Sustainable logging practices
c) Agricultural expansion
d) Reduced consumer demand for wood products
28. What is the term for the process of breaking down dead organic material into simpler substances in an ecosystem?
29. Which type of pollution occurs when harmful substances enter the water ecosystem, causing harm to aquatic life and humans?
a) Land pollution
b) Air pollution
c) Water pollution
d) Noise pollution
30. Which of the following is an example of an endangered species due to habitat loss and poaching for their horns?
a) Bengal tiger
b) Bald eagle
c) Grizzly bear
d) African elephant