Former Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Chief Minister Mangat Ram Sharma died after a prolonged illness. He will be cremated at Shastri Nagar. The six-time legislator also served as speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly.
- He served as Deputy Chief Minister in the Mufti Mohammad Sayeed led PDP-Congress coalition government and later served as Health Minister in 2006, when Ghulam Nabi Azad took over as Chief Minister of J&K.
- He also held important positions in the Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Youth Congress Committee deeply condoled the demise of the former Dy CM.
- In a condolence message, Pranav Shagotra, President JKPYC, expressed grief over the demise of Mangat Ram Sharma and described him as a great leader who was liked by one and all because of his humility and qualities of leadership.
- A condolence meeting was held by J&K Pradesh Youth Congress at the Congress headquarters.
- While paying tributes to the veteran leader at the meeting, JKPYC leaders remembered his contributions in different capacities to the party and the people during his public life.
- Mangat Ram had great concern for the poor and downtrodden people irrespective of caste, creed, colour, religion or region, he said.
- A two-minute silence was observed at the meeting as a mark of respect for the departed soul.