Facts About Manipur – Manipur is situated in the Northeast region of India. Imphal is the capital of Manipur. It literally means “The Jeweled Land”. Manipur is richly endowed with natural beauty and splendour. Manipur is bordered by the Indian states of Nagaland to its north, Mizoram to its south, Assam to its west, and shares an international border with Myanmar to its east. Manipur has four major river basins: the Barak River Basin (Barak Valley) to the west, the Manipur River Basin in central Manipur, the Yu River Basin in the east, and a portion of the Lanye River Basin in the north. The Barak River, the largest of Manipur, originates in the Manipur Hills and is joined by tributaries, such as the Irang, Maku, and Tuivai.
Government of Manipur
|Chief Minister||Okram Ibobi Singh|
|Chief Justice of High Court||Justice Rakesh Ranjan Prasad|
State symbols of Manipur
|Date of Formation||Jan 21, 1972|
|State Animal||Sangai (Brow-antlered deer)|
|State Tree||Indian Mahogany|
|State Flower||Lilium Mackliniae (Lily)|
National parks and wildlife sanctuaries
- Keibul Lamjao National Park
- Shirui National Park
- Ningol Chakouba
- Khamba Thoibi dance
Famous places in Manipur
- Govindajee Temple: This is a Vaishnavite temple built by the former kings of Manipur. The simple but beautiful structure consists of two domes and a large congregation hall.
- War Cemetery: The Commonwealth War Graves Commission maintains the graveyard. Little stone markers with bronze plaques on them commemorate the dead British and Indian soldiers of World War II.
- Khonghampat Orchidarium: The sprawling land of 200 acres boasts over 110 rare varieties of orchids including a dozen endemic species.
- Loktak Lake: The biggest natural freshwater lake of the northeastern region of India is the Loktak Lake. The Sendra island is situated on the lake itself and has a tourist bungalow that provides a captivating view of the lake waters.
- Zoological Gardens: It houses the Sangai (the graceful brow-antlered deer) at the base of pine-clad hillocks.
- Bishnupur: The place features a Vishnu temple with peculiar Chinese influence besides the Loktak Lake and also the Red Hill, where a fierce battle between the British and the Japanese took place during the World War II.
- Shaheed Minar: This tall seminar at the heart of Imphal city is to commemorate the indomitable spirit of the patriotic Meitei and tribal martyrs who sacrificed their lives while fighting the British in 1891.
- Keibul Lamjao National Park: Keibul Lamjao National Park is the only floating National Park in the world. It is on the Loktak Lake and is the last natural habitat of the Sangai deer of Manipur.
Famous Personalities of Manipur
- Hangmila Shaiza: First Woman MLA in Manipur
- Laisram Birendra Kumar Singh: an eminent musicologist
- Moirangthem Rajen: Sahitya Akademi Award 2016 Winner
- Diana Khumanthem: highest ever IAS ranked holder (Female) from Manipur
- Haobam Paban Kumar: Award Winning Film Director
- Kshetri Rajen: Awardee of Sahitya Akademi Award 2015
- Samjetsabam Sarjubala: International Boxing Champion
- Laishram Mema: The Melody Queen of Manipur
Some other Facts About Manipur
- Manipur played a major role in WW II. Japanese army invaded British India via Manipur, where British forces beat Japan before they could enter Imphal.
- Manipur became part of India in 1949 and in 1956 it became a Union Territory, whereas 16 years later, Manipur became a state of India.
- Manipur is known by various names like Kangleipak, Sanaleibak and Meeteileipak.
- The sports Polo originated in Manipur. this game was later adopted by the Britishers and hence it gained popularity in the west.
- Handloom weaving and sericulture are two marketing sectors that provide mass employment to the locals of Manipur.
- India’s first floating elementary school named Loktak Elementary Floating School was inaugurated at Langolsabi Leikai of Champu Khangpok floating village on Loktak Lake in Manipur on February 2017.
- The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has constituted a four-member team for conservation and management of Loktak Lake in Manipur.
Trivia About Manipur
1. Who is the present Governor of Manipur?
2. What is the state tree of Manipur?
3.The only floating National Park in the world is _________.
4. Name the famous game which originated from Manipur?
5. India’s first floating elementary school inaugurated in ________.
Click this button to Download the E-Book