Current Affairs Daily Digest – September 19 & 20 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – September 19 & 20 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. RS passed Epidemic Diseases Amendment Bill 2020 to protect healthcare workers
Rajya Sabha, the Upper House, passed the Epidemic Diseases Amendment Bill, 2020 on 19 September 2020. The Bill aims to punish the individuals who attack health workers or doctors who are fighting the covid-19 outbreak or during any situation similar to the current pandemic.
2. Colonel Dr Girija Mungali appointed in Asian Football Confederation task-force
Retd. Colonel Dr. Girija Shanker Mungali has been appointed a member of the Asian Football Confederation’s task force. Teh task force consists of 7 members. The force aims to regulate football clubs in Asia and Australia.
Mungali is also currently serving as the Chairman of the Club Licensing Committee of the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
3. DRDO set up 8 technology centres for research on Military Applications
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has set up eight advanced technology centres to carry out research on futuristic military applications. The centres will provide support to academia to undertake research on new technologies in niche areas for military use.
- DRDO Chairman – Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
- DRDO Headquarters – New Delhi
4. September 19: International Coastal Clean-Up Day
Every year, the International Coastal Clean-Up Day is celebrated on the third Saturday of the month of September. This year, the day is celebrated on September 19 under the theme
Theme: Achieving a Trash free coastline
5. Eight Indian Beaches recommended for Blue Flag International Eco-Label
The Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar announced that 8 Indian beaches have been recommended for the Blue Flag International Eco label. The announcement was made on the eve of International coastal clean-up day.
The eight beaches that were recommended are Shivrajpur in Gujarat, Kasarkod and padubidri in Karnataka, Golden Beach in Odisha, Radha Nagar in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Goghla in Daman and Diu, Kappad in Kerala, Rushikonda in Andhra Pradesh.
6. India to conduct VAIBHAV Summit
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi is to inaugurate VAIBHAV Summit on October 2, 2020. VAIBHAV is Vaishwik Bharatiya Vaigyanik Summit.
- The Summit is being conducted under the following theme
- To bring Indian luminaries all over the world it to discuss and debate about collaboration mechanism with their counterparts in India.
- To bring together diverse academic cultures.
- To strengthen aatma nirbhar Bharat initiative.
7. Insolvency and Bankruptcy (Second Amendment) passed in Rajya Sabha
The Rajya Sabha passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy code (second Amendment) Bill 2020. According to the new amendment, fresh insolvency proceedings will not be started for the next six months considering Covid-19 pandemic.
8. Veteran Tamil Director Babu Sivan passes away
Tamil director Babu Sivan passed away. He began his career by assisting director Dharani, who helmed films like Ghilli and Kurvi with Vijay. Later, he made his directorial debut with Vettaikaaran in 2009. It was one of the highest grossing Tamil films of that year.
9. Canara Bank introduces i-Lead 2.0 to boost customer services
Public sector lender Canara Bank has launched lead management system (LMS) – i-Lead 2.0 (Inspiring Leads System version 2.0). The system has been launched to provide its services to customers irrespective of where they reside.
10. Gujarat government launches Mukhyamantri Mahila Utkarsh Yojana
The Gujarat government has launched the Mukhyamantri Mahila Utkarsh Yojana (MMUY). The scheme will provide interest-free loans to women’s groups in the state. Under the MMUY, 50,000 joint liability and earning group (JLEG) will be formed in urban areas. Similarly, 50,000 such groups will also be formed in rural areas.
- Chief Minister of Gujarat: Vijaybhai R. Rupani
- Governor of Gujarat: Acharya Dev Vrat
11. Margaret Atwood awarded 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize
Margaret Atwood has won the 2020 Dayton Literary Peace Prize’s lifetime achievement award. The award celebrates literature’s power to foster peace, social justice and global understanding. The Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award is named for the late U.S. diplomat who brokered the 1995 Bosnian peace accords reached in the Ohio city.
12. A new book titled “Azadi” authored by Arundhati Roy
Arundhati Roy’s new book titled “Azadi: Freedom. Fascism. Fiction” is published by Penguin Books Limited. The nonfiction book is a collection of essays that shows the meaning of Freedom in the world of increasing authoritarianism.