Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 07 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 07 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. Nobel Prize for Chemistry, 2020
The 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded to Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna “for the development of a method for genome editing”. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry is awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden.
About Emmanuelle Charpentier:
- Emmanuelle Charpentier, born 1968 in Juvisy-sur-Orge, France.
- PhD. 1995 from Institut Pasteur, Paris, France.
- Director of the Max Planck Unit for the Science of Pathogens, Berlin, Germany.
About Jennifer A. Doudna:
- Jennifer A. Doudna, born 1964 in Washington, D.C, USA.
- PhD. 1989 from Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- Professor at the University of California, Berkeley, USA and Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
2. Veteran Bollywood Actor Vishal Anand passes away
Veteran Bollywood actor, Vishal Anand has passed away. He came to fame with 1976 super-hit song and film ‘Chalte Chalte’. His real name was Bhishmam Kohli. He has appeared in 11 Hindi films during his acting careers like Hindustan Ki Kasam and Taxi Driver.
3. World Cotton Day: 07 October
World Cotton Day (WCD) is observed globally on 7th October since 2019. The international day aims to celebrate the advantages of cotton, ranging from its qualities as a natural fibre to the benefits people obtain from its production, transformation, trade and consumption.
- World Trade Organization Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- World Trade Organization Founded: 1 January 1995.
- World Trade Organization Director-General: Roberto Azevêdo.
4. Afghanistani cricketer Najeeb Tarakai passes away
Afghanistan right-handed batsman, Najeeb Tarakai passed away in a road accident. He played 12 Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) for Afghanistan, after making his international debut in the 2014 T20 World Cup. He played his only one-day international against Ireland in 2017.
5. IPS officer MA Ganapathy appointed DG of BCAS
Senior IPS officer, M A Ganapathy has been appointed as the Director-General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS). He is a 1986 batch IPS officer of Uttarakhand cadre. The post of BCAS chief fell vacant after Rakesh Asthana was appointed as the Director-General of Border Security Force in August.
- Bureau of Civil Aviation Security Founded: 1978.
- Bureau of Civil Aviation Security Headquarters: New Delhi.
6. Indian Coast Guard 7th Offshore Patrol Vessel ‘Vigraha’ launched
The seventh offshore patrol vessel of the Indian Coast Guard (ICG), ”Vigraha” was formally unveiled at the Kattupalli port, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The vessel, built by Larsen and Toubro, is the last in the series of seven OPVs contracted to the company by the Ministry of Defence in 2015.
- Indian Coast Guard Director General: Director General Krishnaswamy Natarajan.
- Indian Coast GuardFounded: 18 August 1978.
7. Eddie Van Halen, rock legend and guitar hero, dies at 65 due to cancer
Eddie Van Halen, one of rock n roll’s singular and most gifted guitarists passed away on October 6, 2020, at the age of 65. The Dutch-American Musician was undergoing treatment for throat cancer.
8. Dinesh Kumar Khara becomes new Chairman of SBI
The government of India has appointed Dinesh Kumar Khara as the new Chairman of State Bank of India for a period of three years. His appointment is effective from October 7. Currently, Khara is the Managing Director in-charge of Global Banking & Subsidiaries.
- SBI Founded: 1 July 1955
- SBI Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
9. “Baahubali” series author Anand Neelakantan pens debut kids’ book
The author of Baahubali series, Anand Neelakantan has authored his first kid’s book titled “The Very, Extremely, Most Naughty Asura Tales for Kids”, published by Puffins Publishers Private Limited under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
10. Delhi’s Deputy CM Manish Sisodia launches a book “Bapu-The unforgettable”
On the occasion of the 151st Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia has launched the coffee-table book titled “Babu – The Unforgettable” over the virtual event.