Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 07 2019
1. October 7: World Cotton Day; Textile Minister attends the program
The World Cotton Day (WCD) is being organized by the WTO in collaboration with UN, FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization), UNCTD (United Nations Conference on Trade and Development), International Trade Center and International Cotton Advisory Committee. The World Cotton Day is being observed for the first time. The resilience of farmers will be recognized and celebrated on the day.
2. 2019 Nobel Prize: Medicine
Britain’s Peter Ratcliffe and William Kaelin and Gregg Semenza of US shared the 2019 Nobel Medicine Prize for their work on how cells sense and adapt to oxygen availability. The team revealed the understanding of how oxygen levels affect cellular metabolism.
Kaelin works at Howard Hughes Medical Institute, US. Semenza is the director of Vascular Research program at Hopkins Institute of Cell Engineering. Ratcliffe is the director of Francis Crick Institute in London. The trio will share prize money of 914,000 USD.
3. Exercise Nomadic Elephant XIV commenced on 6th October in Bakloh
The Exercise Nomadic Elephant XIV, 14th edition of Indo–Mongolian joint military training has commenced from 6 October 2019. The exercise is conducted over a period of 14 days from 6 October to 18 October 2019 at Bakloh, Himachal Pradesh.
4. 39th World Congress of Poets organized in Bhubaneswar
The 39th World Congress of Poets was inaugurated at the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology.
Theme: Compassion through Poetry.
The theme aims to promote peace and brotherhood through poetry. The event was inaugurated by the Odisha Chief Minister. Vice President Venkaiah Naidu attended the event.
5. Novak Djokovic wins Japan Open on return from injury
World number one Novak Djokovic beat John Millman to mark his return from injury by winning the Japan Open. The 31-year-old won 6-3 6-2 in the final in Tokyo to claim a fourth title of the year and a 76th of his career. It was the Serb’s first tournament since he withdrew from the US Open in September with a shoulder injury.
6. Uco Bank announces launch of 3 new digital products
Uco Bank, which recently became the regional bank for the east, launched three new digital products in Kolkata.
- UCash-enables customers to withdraw money from ATMs through mobile banking without using debit card, a statement issued by the bank said.
- Digilocker-aims to eliminate the use of physical documents and enables sharing of verified electronic documents.
- Mobile app-integrates four existing apps of the bank – UCO Mbanking, UCO UPI, UCO Mpassbook and UCO Secure- in a single interface, the statement added.
7. ITC ties up with AP govt to improve quality, sales of chilli output
ITC has joined hands with the Andhra Pradesh Government to develop a chilli value chain.
The Agri Business Division of ITC and the Department of Horticulture have conceptualised an integrated Agri Extension Platform for chilli farmers under the public-private partnership model.
8. Mexican actress Yalitza Aparicio named UNESCO ambassador
The United Nations’ cultural agency UNESCO has appointed Mexican actress Yalitza Aparicio as its goodwill ambassador for indigenous peoples.
The 25-year-old actress made history as the first indigenous performer nominated for a best actress honor at the Academy Awards this year for her performance in the film “Roma”, in which she speaks in an indigenous language and in Spanish.
9. World Habitat Day 7 October
The United Nations designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter. The Day is also intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
2019 theme: Frontier Technologies as an innovative tool to transform waste to wealth
10. Doyen of Nutrition research Colathur Gopalan no more
Colathur Gopalan, the doyen of nutrition research in India, who lived a hundred years with remarkable contributions, passed away morning in Chennai. In a strange coincidence, Gopalan and the Hyderabad-based National Institute of Nutrition (NIN), of which he was the founder director, celebrated their centenary in 2018.
11. Surender Singh creates three world records at World Powerlifting C’ ship
Surender Singh of India created three world records at the ongoing World Powerlifting Championship in Berlin, Germany. Surender bagged gold medal in 110 kg category, Classic Raw and the Best Lifter Award in Classic Raw and Single Ply. Three-time World Champion Mukesh Singh went on to add another feather to his cap by winning yet another gold only to be known as 4-time World Champion