Bancassurance is the partnership or relationship between a bank and an insurance company, or a single integrated organisation, whereby the insurance company uses the bank sales channel in order to sell insurance products. It is also called bank insurance model (BIM) and also sometimes known as allfinanz. BIM allows the insurance company to maintain smaller direct sales teams as their products are sold through the bank to bank customers by bank staff and employees as well.
- Bancassurance is a French term referring to the selling of insurance through a bank’s established distribution channels.
- In some countries, bancassurance is still largely prohibited, but it was recently legalized in countries like USA.
- Bancassurance is the selling of insurance and banking products through the same channel, most commonly through bank branches.
- Bank staff are advised and supported by the insurance company through product information, marketing campaigns and sales training.
- Bancassurance primarily rests on the relationship the customer has developed over a period of time with the bank.
- Under Bancassurance The bank and the insurance company share the commission.
- BIM is extremely popular in European countries such as Spain, France and Austria.
- Privatbancassurance, a new kind of Bancassurance was pioneered by Lombard International Assurance and now used globally. The concept combines private banking and investment management services with the sophisticated use of life assurance.
- Bancassurance is an efficient distribution channel with higher productivity and lower costs than traditional distribution channel.
Three kind of models used in Bancassurance :
- Strategic Alliance Model : The bank only markets the products of the insurance company. Except for marketing the products, no other insurance functions are carried out by the bank.
- Full Integration Model : The bank sells the insurance products under its brand acting as a provider of financial solutions matching customer needs. Under such an arrangement the Bank has an additional core activity almost similar to that of an insurance company.
- Mixed Models : Under this Model, The database of the bank is sold to the insurance company. The approach requires very little technical investment.
Advantages of Bancassurance:
- Bancassurance offers another area of profitability to banks with little or no capital outlay. A small capital outlay in turn means a high return on equity.
- Today, convenience is a major issue in managing a person’s day to day activities. A bank, which is able to market insurance products, has a competitive edge over its competitors. It can provide complete financial planning services to its customers under one roof.
- Opportunities for sophisticated product offerings.
- Opportunities for greater customer lifecycle management.
- Diversify risks by tapping another area of profitability.
- Bank aims to increase percentage of non-interest fee income.
- Cost effective use of premises
References : Wikipedia, Mint, AllBankingSolutions.