Senior revenue service officer Arun Kumar Jain has been appointed as the Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). The appointment has been also approved by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Who is Arun Kumar Jain?
- Mr Jain is Indian Revenue Services (IRS) officer of a 1978 batch.
- Prior to this appointment he was serving as acting Chairman of the board following superannuation of Anita Kapur on November 30, 2015.
- He will have short tenure of two months as Chairman of CBDt till January 2016.
- Presently, he is also holding additional charge of Member (Personnel and Vigilance) in the CBDT.
What is CBDT?
- About Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) CBDT is apex policy making body of Income Tax department in India and is the supreme body for framing policies related to direct taxes.
- It is a statutory authority established under The Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
- The composition of CBDT includes Chairman and six members.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) provides essential inputs for policy and planning of direct taxes in India and is also responsible for administration of the direct tax laws through Income Tax Department.
- It is India’s official FATF (Financial Action Task Force) unit.