Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on launched the SMS alert service for Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) for salaried class and the CBDT will soon offer this facility on a monthly basis. Jaitley said salaried class cannot afford to pay tax twice or indulge in litigations and hence they should be kept updated about their TDS deductions.
- Hence tax payers will benefit if they receive information through use of technology. So they can match the office salary slip and the SMS and at the end of the fiscal he will be clear about any possible tax dues.
- CBDT Chairperson Rani Singh Nair said the tax department is encouraging people to register their mobile number on the e-filing website.
- Tax payer will initially receive a welcome message from the CBDT informing him about the facility and after that each assessee would be sent messages informing them about their respective TDS deductions.
- The new step is an effort by the I-T department to directly communicate deposit of tax deducted through SMS alerts to salaried tax payers.
- In case of a mismatch, they can contact their deductor for necessary correction. Besides, SMS alerts will also be sent to deductors who have either failed to deposit taxes deducted ot to e-file their TDS returns by the due date.