Diverse culture of India has the treasure of a variety of folk and tribal dances in regions across the country. Indian folk dances are practice in the rural areas and performed during the religious or seasonal festivals. Some of the most popular folk dances performed across the Indian villages and cities are Bhangra, Rouff, Garba, Kalbelia,Lavani,Chhau, Bihu and Raut Nacha.
The different categories of Indian folk dances are listed below:
INDIAN FOLK DANCES
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Nicobarese dances|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Bardo Chham|
|Andhra Pradesh||Thapetta Gullu|
|Himachal Pradesh||Kinnauri Nati|
|Nagaland||Sua Lua (or) Chang Lo|
|Odissa||Ghumura Dance (or Ghumra Dance)|
Ruk Mar Nacha and Chhau dance
Baagh Naach or Tiger Dance
Dalkhai (Chhiollai, Humobauli and Dauligit, Chhata, Sajani, Bhekani, Daika, Jaiphul, Rasarkeli, Bayamana, Maila Jada, and Gunchikuta) Dhap Karma Naach
|Tamil Nadu||Kamandi or Kaman Pandigai|
Karagattam or Karagam
Mayil Attam or Peacock dance
Paampu Attam or Snake Dance
Poikal Kudirai Attam
Facts About Indian folk dances
- Gaur dance is a popular folk dance of Madhya Pradesh dances. Gaur dance is popular in the Sing Marias or Tallaguda Marias of South Bastar. Men put head-dresses with stringed ‘cowries’ and plumes of peacock feathers and make their way to the dancing ground.
- Chhau is a popular folk dance of Bihar. Since masks form an important feature of this dance it is called ‘Chhau’, which means mask.
- Bihu is a popular folk dance of Assam. The Bihu dance is an integral part of the Bihu festival of Assam. The Bihu festival is celebrated in mid-April, during the harvesting time and lasts for about a month.
- Dumhal is a popular dance of Kashmir. This dance is performed with long colorful robes, tall conical caps (studded with beads and shells). Dumhal dance is accompanied by songs which the performers themselves sing.
- Padayani is one of the most colorful and popular dances of Southern Kerala. Padayani is associated with the festival of certain temples, called Padayani or Paddeni. Such temples are in Alleppey, Quilon, Pathanamthitta and Kottayam districts.
- Dollu Kunitha is a popular drum dance of Karnataka state. In the Dollu Kanitha dance, large drums are adorned with colored clothes and hang around the necks of men. The songs used in this dance usually have religious and battle fervor.
- Dandiya is a popular folk dance of Rajasthan. Dressed in colorful costumes the performers play skillfully with big sticks in their hands.
- Dandiya dance is accompanied by the musical instrument called the ‘Meddale’ played by the drummer in the centre.
- The Bhil tribal of Rajasthan perform a variety of dances. All these folk dances correspond to the agricultural cycle. The Ghumer dance, Raika and Jhoria are some examples of this type of dance.
- The Gher dance is a favorite and popular dance of the Mina tribe who are similar to the Bhils while Valar is typical dance of the Garasias of Rajasthan.
We hope you have gained some knowledge from our Article – Indian Folk Dances