Former Jammu and Kashmir Governor Lt Gen S K Sinha passed away at a hospital this morning after brief illness at the age of 92. He was first admitted to the base hospital here on November 1 with a fracture in his femur bone and ribs and was later shifted to the R and R hospital after some complications developed.
- He is survived by his wife, son and IFS officer Y K Sinha who is at present Indian Ambassador to Sri Lanka and is moving for his new posting to the UK, and three daughters.
- They said his funeral will take place at the Brar Square crematorium.
- Sinha has served as the Jammu and Kashmir Governor and led the first batch of Indian troops who entered J and K when Pakistan raiders invaded in 1947.
- He resigned from service after the government superseded him and appointed General A S Vaidya as the new army chief.
- Lt Gen Sinha had joined army in 1943 and has also served as India’s Ambassador to Nepal and as the Governor of Assam.
- National Conference leader Farooq Abdullah and his son and former J-K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah condoled his death.