Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 25 & 26 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 25 & 26 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. Indian-origin Wavel Ramkalawan becomes the President of Seychelles
India born Wavel Ramkalawan was elected as the President of Seychelles. This is the first time, the opposition candidate has won elections in Seychelles since 1977. Seychelles is an archipelago in the Indian Ocean. It was a British colony till 1976. A year after its independence, in 1977 Mr Faure seized power in a coup and retained presidency in elections. HE was in power till multi-party democracy was restored in the country in 1993.
2. PM SVANidhi Scheme: UP secures the top rank
The Government of India announced that Uttar Pradesh secured the top rank PM SVANidhi Scheme. The state has approved the highest number of loans so far. Uttar Pradesh government has secured the top ranking in all categories of the PM SVANidhi Scheme.
The categories include sanction, applications, disbursements of loans. Under the scheme more than 6,22,167 application were received. Out of this, 3,46,150 were given.
3. 59th ITBP Raising Day: 24 October
Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) has observed his 59th raising Day on 24th October. The ITBP was raised in the aftermath of the 1962 Chinese aggression and it has a strength of about 90,000 personnel with 60 battalions on the ground.
- Director-General of ITBP: Surjeet Singh Deswal.
4. ICICI Bank shuts down operations in Sri Lanka
ICICI Bank has shut down his operations in Sri Lanka after getting approval from the Sri Lankan monetary authority. The Monetary Board of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka, having considered the request made by ICICI Bank, has granted approval to close down the business operation of the bank in Sri Lanka and cancel the licence issued to it.
- ICICI Bank Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- ICICI Bank MD & CEO: Sandeep Bakhshi.
- ICICI Bank Tagline: Hum Hai Na, Khayal Apka.
5. NTPC ranks 1st among Indian PSUs in Forbes’ World’s Best Employer 2020
National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) has featured on the top on the list of Indian PSUs under the ‘World’s Best Employer 2020’, published by Forbes.
In the recent past, the company has initiated an ‘NTPC Series’ on success stories beyond official work, ‘Ambition, Growth, Success Beyond Work’, a series on the achievements of employees beyond their official assignments.
- NTPC Founded: 1975.
- NTPC Headquarters: New Delhi, India.
6. Prahlad Singh Patel virtually launched “Life in Miniature” project
Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (I/C), Prahlad Singh Patel has virtually launched the “Life in Miniature” project, a collaboration between the National Museum, New Delhi, Ministry of Culture, and Google Arts & culture.
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (I/C): Prahlad Singh Patel.
- Constituency: Damoh, Madhya Pradesh.
7. Samsung Chairman Lee Kun-Hee passes away
The chairman of South Korea’s largest conglomerate, Samsung Group, Lee Kun-hee has passed away. Lee helped to transform Samsung from a small trading business to become the world’s largest producer of smartphones and memory chips.
8. Lewis Hamilton wins Portuguese Grand Prix 2020
Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix, held at Algarve International Circuit, Portugal. This was the 12th round of the 2020 Formula One World Championship. This is Hamilton’s 8th win of the season and 92nd career race victory.
9. India-assisted hydroelectric project in Bhutan wins UK engineers’ body award
India-assisted Mangdechhu Hydroelectric project in Bhutan has been awarded the Brunel Medal-2020, an award conferred by the UK’s top engineering body, Institute of Civil Engineers.
- Capital of Bhutan: Thimphu.
- Prime minister of Bhutan: Lotay Tshering.
- The currency of Bhutan: Bhutanese ngultrum.
10. LT GEN Nanda Kishore Sahoo Assumes Appointment of Director General Dental Services
Lieutenant General Nanda Kishore Sahoo, assumed the appointment of Director General Dental Services and Colonel Commandant of Army Dental Corps on 12 Oct 2020.
During his distinguished military career of 37 years, he has held multiple important appointments including Command of a unit in Kashmir Valley, Command Advisor of Western, Central and Southern Commands.
11. India’s First Sand Dune Park to Come Up in Goa
The World Bank has sanctioned Rs 3 crores to the Goa state government for the project. Now Goa is set to be home to the country’s first sand dune park under a project funded by The World Bank which has accepted the proposal of the Biodiversity Board of the state and has sanctioned a sum of 3 crores for the project.
12. Suman Dubey debut novel to tell story of ex-cricketer turned fixer
Cricket, power and crime dominate the plot of an upcoming book, “The Fixer”, which promises to narrate a thrilling tale of an ex-cricketer-turned-fixer. The debut novel of author Suman Dubey will hit the stands on October 26, announced publishing house Rupa.