Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 13 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 13 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. Delhi Cabinet approves Tree Transplantation Policy
The Delhi Cabinet approved the ‘Tree Transplantation Policy’ for the preservation of trees in the Capital. The Cabinet also approved the installation of the second smog tower in the world at Connaught Place within ten months. The project seeks to prevent large-scale felling for development projects.
Under the policy, a minimum of 80% of trees affected by a development or construction project will be transplanted. Over 80% of the transplanted trees must survive after transplantation.
2. India and Taiwan Think Tanks join hands for Indo-Pacific Cooperation
The National Maritime foundation of India and Taiwan Asia Exchange Foundation recently signed a memorandum of understanding to foster cooperation in the Indo-pacific region. The two groups are major think tanks of the countries.
3. Prince William launches “Earthshot Prize” to boost climate innovation
Britain’s Prince William and Naturalist David Attenborough have launched an “Earthshot Prize”, with an aim to encourage change and support to repair the planet.
The Earth shot Prize aims to “incentivize change and help to repair our planet over the next 10 years,” and “turn pessimism into optimism” by rewarding innovative solutions to environmental problems.
4. Former Indian Football Captain Carlton Chapman passed away
Former Indian football captain, Carlton Chapman passed away. He was born on 13th April 1971 in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He announced his retirement from professional Football in 2001.
He was the captain of the Indian team when India won the South Asian Football Federation Gold Cup in 1997. He was a leading midfielder played for Indian from 1995 to 2001. He joined Quartz FC, Kozhikode as the technical director in 2017.
5. ADB approves 300 million US dollar loan for Rajasthan’s water supply
India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a 300 million US dollar loan to finance inclusive and sustainable water supply and sanitation infrastructure and services in 14 secondary towns of the state of Rajasthan.
- Chief Minister of Rajasthan: Ashok Gehlot; Governor: Kalraj Mishra.
- President of Asian Development Bank: Masatsugu Asakawa.
- Asian Development Bank Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- Asian Development Bank Founded: 19 December 1966.
6. Nagaland’s Environment Minister C M Chang passes away
Nagaland’s environment minister, C M Chang passed away due to COVID-19. He was a retired IAS officer and former Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha (2009-13).
He was elected to the Nagaland Legislative Assembly from 51 Noksen constituencies under Tuensang district in 2013 and later retained the same seat in 2018 on Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) ticket.
7. India Ranks 129 in CRI Index released by Oxfam
India has been ranked 129 among 158 countries in the 2020 Commitment to Reducing Inequality (CRI) Index. The third edition of the index focuses on Fighting Inequality in the time of COVID-19.
The 2020 CRI index has been topped by Norway. South Sudan is the lowest ranking country in the index at 158th position.
8. Kerala becomes 1st state to have completely digital, hi-tech classrooms
Chief Minister, Pinarayi Vijayan has declared the state public education sector completely digital as Kerala has become the first state in the country to have high-tech classrooms in all its public schools.
- Chief Minister of Kerala: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan.
9. International Day for Disaster Reduction: 13 October
The United Nations International Day for Disaster Reduction is observed globally on 13th October. The day is celebrated to promote a global culture of risk-awareness and disaster reduction and also celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters and raising awareness about the importance of reining in the risks that they face.
10. Los Angeles Lakers wins 17th NBA Championship
The Los Angeles Lakers defeated the Miami Heat to win the National Basketball Association (NBA) Championship 2020. This is the 17th NBA title win for LA Lakers and also there first since 2010, after late Kobe Bryant’s fifth and final title a decade ago.
National Basketball Association (NBA) Championship Founded: 6 June 1946, New York, United States.
11. Aava Murto becomes Finland’s PM post for a day
As part of the United Nations International Day of Girl Child (11th October 2020), a 16-year old Aava Murto assumed the post of Finland’s Prime Minister for one day on 7th October 2020 to raise awareness about gender equality. It was done as part of the “Girls Takeover” Program. Murto hails from the small village of Vaaksy in Southern Finland.
- Prime Minister of Finland – Sanna Marin
- Capital city – Helsinki
- Currency – Euro
12. India, Maldives sign LOC agreement of $400 mn for GMCP implementation
India and Maldives on October 12, 2020 concluded the Line of Credit (LOC) Agreement of USD 400 million for the implementation of the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP). It is the single largest connectivity and infrastructure project in the island nation.
13. Exercise Suraksha Kavach- Joint Anti Terrorist Exercise By Army and Police
Agnibaaz Division organized a joint exercise for both Indian Army and Maharashtra Police at Lullanagar Pune recently (09 Oct 2020).
The aim of the exercise was to harmonize the drills and procedures of both Army and Police for activating anti-terrorist Quick Reaction Teams (QRTs) to counter any terrorist actions in Pune.