List of Prime Ministers of India
List of Prime Ministers of India – The Prime Minister of India is the chief executive of the Government of India. In India’s parliamentary system, the Constitution names the President as head of state de jure, but his or her de facto executive powers are vested in the Prime Minister and his Council of Ministers. The main supervisory of Government of India is the Prime Minister of India. The Prime Minister is elected by Indian citizens. The Prime Minister is generally the head of the party or union that has a majority in the Lok Sabha, the lower house of India’s legislature.
Since 1947, India has had fourteen Prime Ministers, fifteen including Gulzarilal Nanda who twice acted in the role.
List Of Prime Ministers Of India & Their Party
|S No||Names||Term of office||Party|
|1.||Jawaharlal Nehru||1947-1964||Indian National Congress|
|2.||Gulzarilal Nanda||1964-1964(13 days)||Indian National Congress|
|3.||Lal Bahadur Shastri||1964-1966||Indian National Congress|
|4.||Gulzarilal Nanda||1966-1966(13days)||Indian National Congress|
|5.||Indira Gandhi||1966-1977||Indian National Congress|
|6.||Morarji Desai||1977 -1979||Janata Party|
|7.||Charan Singh||1979-1980||Janata Party (Secular)|
|8.||Indira Gandhi||1980-1984||Indian National Congress (I)|
|9.||Rajiv Gandhi||1984-1989||Indian National Congress (I)|
|10.||V. P. Singh||1989-1990||Janata Dal|
|11.||Chandra Shekhar||1990-1991||Samajwadi Janata Party|
|12.||P. V. Narasimha Rao||1991-1996||Indian National Congress (I)|
|13.||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||1996-1996(16 days)||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|14.||H. D. Deve Gowda||1996-1997||Janata Dal|
|15.||I. K. Gujral||1997-1998||Janata Dal|
|16.||Atal Bihari Vajpayee||1998-2004||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|17.||Manmohan Singh||2004-2014||Indian National Congress|
|18.||Narendra Modi||2014-Incumbent||Bharatiya Janata Party|
Did You Know?
- The first Prime Minister of Independent India was Pt Jawaharlal Nehru and at present, the Prime Minister of India is Mr Narendra Modi who has leading the BJP since 26/05/14.
- The only person who worked twice as the Acting Prime Minister for 13 days each – Gulzarilal Nanda.
- Indira Gandhi was the first person who belonged to Rajya Sabha during nomination as Prime Minister.
- Rajiv Gandhi was the youngest ever Prime Minister of India. He was sworn in as Prime Minister the same day when Indira Gandhi was assassinated.
- P V Narasimha Rao was the first Prime Minister from a non-Hindi belt (South India).
- The PM who is called Father of Economic Reforms of India – P V Narasimha Rao.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the first parliamentarian to give a speech in Hindi to the United Nations General Assembly.
- Only three persons belonged to Rajya Sabha during their nomination for Prime Minister – 1st Indira Gandhi, 2nd H D Devegoda and 3rd I K Gujaral.