DayTodayGK has prepared a list of National Emblems of Famous Countries.
A national emblem is a seal or an emblem, which is being used for a country as a symbol. Many countries have a seal or emblem in addition to a national flag, national birds, trees, flowers, etc.
National Emblems of Famous Countries
|India||Lion Capital of Ashoka|
|Pakistan||Crescent and Star|
|Canada||Maple Leaf, Lily|
|Turkey||Crescent and Star|
Interesting Facts about Lion Capital of Ashoka – The National Emblem of India
- The Lion Capital of Ashoka is a sculpture of four Asiatic lions standing back to back, on an elaborate base that includes other animals.
- It was originally placed atop the Aśoka pillar at the important Buddhist site of Sarnath by the Emperor Ashoka, in about 250 BCE.
- The pillar, sometimes called the Aśoka Column, is still in its original location, but the Lion Capital is now in the Sarnath Museum, in Uttar Pradesh.
- It features four Asiatic Lions standing back to back. They are mounted on an abacus with a frieze carrying sculptures in high relief of an elephant, a galloping horse, a bull, and a lion, separated by intervening spoked chariot-wheels. The whole sits upon a bell-shaped lotus.
- The wheel “Ashoka Chakra” from its base has been placed onto the centre of the National Flag of India.
- Whenever the emblem is used by state governments or any other government body, the words Satyameva Jayate in Devanagari script (सत्यमेव जयते) has to be used right under the emblem as per the statute, State Emblem of India (Prohibition of Improper Use) Act, 2005.