Prime Minister Narendra Modi signed a second MoU with South African country Mozambique. India and Mozambique have signed three agreements in the area of drug trafficking (1st), pulse trading (2nd) and youth affairs & sports (3rd). Indian prime minister said: “Our agreement on prevention of drug trafficking is a testimony to our shared determination to combat this menace and these networks.”
- These MoUs have been signed in the presence of PM Modi and Filipe Nyusi, President of Mozambique, between Secretary of Economic Relations in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Amar Sinha and Mozambique’s Finance Minister.
- Among the important agreements, the two countries signed an MoU where in India will purchase pulses from Mozambique in an effort to address the shortfall back home and stabilise prices of this rich source of protein.
- India is also expected to donate certain essential medicines, including those for the treatment of AIDS,for the Mozambican public health system.
- Modi is the first Indian prime minister to visit Mozambique in 34 years. He will also visit South Africa, Tanzania and Kenya in his four nation official visit.
- Mozambique Capital: Maputo
- Currency: Metical