The Indian hockey team put up a scintillating performance to beat Japan 6-1 in the semi-final and enter the summit clash of the Junior Asia Cup. Mandeep Singh opened the scoring for India in the 12th minute before Manpreet Singh put the ball into the net in the next minute at the Wisma Belia Hockey Stadium.
Harmanpreet Singh and Vikramjit Singh scored one each in the 23rd and 27th minutes before Japan scored a consolation in the 44th minute through Shota Yamada. Harmanpreet scored another four minutes later while Varun Kumar added the last goal for India in the 64th minute to put India in the final on Sunday. Pakistan and South Korea will play the second semi-final.
Did You Know???
- London ws the first city in England to popularize this game in the 1870s.
- Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) was formed on the 7th November, 1925 at Gwalior.
- India took that part in Olympics for the first time in 1928 (in Amsterdam Olympics).
- In Olympics, India has won the hockey title a maximum of 8 times.
- The first World Cup Hockey was played in Barcelona in 1971.
Some important Terminology in Hockey
Advantage, Back-stick, Bully, Carry, Dribble, Dodge, Goal line, Green Card, Flick, Free hit, Face of Stick, Jab Stroke, Lung Stroke, Melle, Off side, Penalty shoot out, Short Corner..etc.