Former world junior champion and Grandmaster Abhijeet Gupta won the 19th Commonwealth Chess Championship. He won the gold medal on draw with his opponent Arghyadip Das in the ninth and final round at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Points to remember:
- In men’s selection, Arghyadip Das came second winning the silver medal and M R Lalith Babu won the bronze medal.
- In the women’s section, Padmini Rout won the gold medal. While S Vijayalakshmi and S Meenakshi won silver and bronze medal respectively.
- In this championship both Vijayalakshmi and Meenakshi had won the last six games.
About Abhijeet Gupta
- He is an Indian chess player with the title of Grandmaster.
- On August 15, 2008, he won the World Junior Chess Championship at Gaziantep, Turkey
- He won the 6th Parsvnath Open in New Delhi.
- In 2011 he came first in the 13th Dubai Open Chess Championship.
- He also won Arjuna award for his achievements.