Test your knowledge about the Kargil War with this GK quiz!
Answer 20 questions to learn about the conflict, key events, military operations, and notable personalities involved.
Challenge yourself and uncover fascinating facts about one of India’s significant historical events.
GK Quiz on Kargil War
1. When did the Kargil War take place?
2. The Kargil War was fought between India and which country?
3. What was the codename of the military operation launched by the Indian Army to recapture the strategic positions during the Kargil War?
a) Operation Desert Storm
b) Operation Vijay
c) Operation Cactus
d) Operation Blue Star
4. Which Indian Prime Minister was in office during the Kargil War?
a) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
b) Manmohan Singh
c) Indira Gandhi
d) Narendra Modi
5. What was the main goal of Pakistan in initiating the Kargil conflict?
a) Annexation of Indian territory
b) Disrupting the Indian economy
c) Diverting attention from internal issues
d) Securing control over the Siachen Glacier
6. Which mountain range was the primary location of the Kargil War?
b) Vindhya Range
c) Karakoram Range
d) Aravalli Range
7. During the Kargil War, which strategic location was captured by the Indian Army on July 4, 1999, leading to a turning point in the conflict?
a) Tiger Hill
b) Siachen Glacier
c) Nubra Valley
d) Dras Sector
8. Which war memorial in India commemorates the soldiers who lost their lives during the Kargil War?
a) India Gate
b) Amar Jawan Jyoti
c) Kargil War Memorial
d) Gateway of India
9. The Kargil War officially came to an end with the signing of the Lahore Declaration between India and Pakistan. Who was the Prime Minister of Pakistan at that time?
a) Nawaz Sharif
b) Pervez Musharraf
c) Imran Khan
d) Benazir Bhutto
10. How many Param Vir Chakra recipients were there from the Indian Army for their extraordinary bravery during the Kargil War?
11. Which Indian Air Force fighter aircraft played a significant role in the Kargil War by carrying out crucial airstrikes on enemy positions?
a) Sukhoi Su-30MKI
b) MiG-21 Bison
c) Dassault Mirage 2000
d) HAL Tejas
12. Who was the Chief of the Army Staff of the Indian Army during the Kargil War?
a) General Bipin Rawat
b) General VK Singh
c) General JJ Singh
d) General Ved Prakash Malik
13. Which Indian cricketer was honored with the rank of Honorary Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army for his contributions and support to the Indian Army during the Kargil War?
a) Sachin Tendulkar
b) Rahul Dravid
c) Sourav Ganguly
d) Virender Sehwag
14. During the Kargil War, India lost one of its naval vessels after it was attacked by Pakistani anti-ship missiles. What was the name of the naval vessel?
a) INS Viraat
b) INS Vikrant
c) INS Godavari
d) INS Khukri
15. Which Indian Army officer was posthumously awarded the Ashoka Chakra, the highest peacetime gallantry award, for his bravery and sacrifice during the Kargil War?
a) Captain Vikram Batra
b) Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan
c) Lieutenant Colonel Dhan Singh Thapa
d) Naib Subedar Bana Singh
16. What was the strategic significance of Tololing during the Kargil War?
a) It provided control over the Dras Sector
b) It was a key position to block enemy advances
c) It gave access to the Siachen Glacier
d) It was a vital supply route for the Indian Army
17. Which international organization played a crucial role in mediating between India and Pakistan to bring an end to the Kargil War?
a) United Nations
b) World Bank
c) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
d) South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)
18. During the Kargil War, the Indian Army faced extreme weather conditions. What were the soldiers fighting in Kargil often referred to as?
a) Desert Warriors
b) Snow Tigers
c) Mountain Lions
d) Jungle Warriors
19. Who was the President of India during the Kargil War?
a) APJ Abdul Kalam
b) K. R. Narayanan
c) Pratibha Patil
d) R. Venkataraman
20. What was the official name given to the Indian Air Force’s airstrikes during the Kargil War?
a) Operation Safe Haven
b) Operation Rakshak
c) Operation Talwar
d) Operation Safed Sagar