Former India goalkeeper AU Celestine died in Chennai at the age of 73. He had represented India in the Merdeka Cup in Malaysia in 1969. Celestine represented Tamil Nadu and was considered one of the state’s top custodians. A cartilage injury cut short his football career and he later took up coaching and trained the Tamil Nadu state teams (junior, sub-junior and women). Celestine was also a talent spotter for the All India Football Federation.
In the early 1960s, when playing for Don Bosco Youth Centre, Celestine’s 6 feet 1 frame and ability under the bar earned him the name ‘Goaliath’. He went on to play for the Tamil Nadu senior team and consequently for India before a cartilage injury cut short his career.
Facts About Football
1. Football was invented in China nearly 476 B.C.
2. Football is the most watched and most played sport on earth.
3. Only Canadians and Americans call football as Soccer.
4. Arthur Wharton is considered the first black professional footballer in the world.
5. The total length of the football field is 100 yards.