Facts About Telangana.
Telangana is one of the 29 states in India, located in southern India. Telangana is bordered by the states of Maharashtra to the north and north west, Chhattisgarh to the north, Karnataka to the west and Andhra Pradesh to the east and south. Following a movement for separation, it was awarded separate statehood on 2 June 2014. Hyderabad will continue to serve as the joint capital city for Andhra Pradesh and Telangana for a period of not more than ten years.
Government of Telangana
|Chief Minister||Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao (TRS)|
|Governor||E. S. L. Narasimhan|
State symbols of Telangana
Date of Formation 2 June, 2014
State Animal : Chital
State Tree : Prosopis cineraria
State Flower : Senna auriculata
National parks and wildlife sanctuaries
- Kawal Wildlife Sanctuary Tiger Reserve
- Mrugavani National Park
- KBR National Park
- Mahavir Harina Vanasthali National Park
Major dance and music forms
- Perini Sivatandavam or Perini Thandavam
Famous places in Telangana
- Bhadrachalam Temple is a Lord Sree Sita Ramachandra Swamy Temple in Bhadrachalam, Bhadradri District. Bhadrachalam-The name derived from Bhadragiri (Mountain of Bhadra-a boon child of Meru and Menaka).
- Charminar–The Charminar, constructed in 1591, is a monument and mosque located in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. The landmark has become a global icon of Hyderabad, listed among the most recognized structures of India.
- Golkonda, also known as Golconda, Gol konda, or Golla konda, is a citadel and fort in Southern India and was the capital of the medieval sultanate of the Qutb Shahi dynasty, is situated 11 kilometres west of Hyderabad.
- Hussain Sagar is a heart shaped lake in Hyderabad built by Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah in 1563, during the rule of Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah. It is spread across an area of 5.7 square kilometers and is fed by River Musi.
- Birla Mandir, Hyderabad: Built on a 280 feet (85 m) high hillock called Naubath Pahad on a 13 acres (53,000 m2) plot in Hyderabad.
- Basara: Gnana Saraswati Temple (Goddess of Knowledge) is located on the banks of the river Godavari in Adilabad District
- Mecca Masjid, is one of the oldest mosques in Hyderabad, Telangana in India, And it is one of the largest Mosques in India.
- Kuntala waterfall of Adilabad is the famous tourist spot.
Famous Personalities of Telangana
- Zakir Husain – India’s first Muslim President and famous politician was born in Hyderabad (now in Telangana)
- P V Narsimha Rao – The great politician and 9th Prime Minister of India was borm in Karimnagar district of the then Hyderabad state.
- Ali Yavar Jung – Famous Indian diplomat to many European and Arabian countries. He also served as Governor of Maharashtra. He was born in Hyderabad.
- Dia Mirza – Popular actress and winner of Miss Asia Pacific (year 2000) was born in Hyderabad on 9 Dec 1981.
- Shabana Azmi – Popular actress, theatre and TV artist was born in Hyderabad city of the then Hyderabad state on 18 Sept 1950.
- Mohammad Azharuddin – Famous cricketer and captain of Indian Cricket team was born in Hyderabad on 8 Feb 1963.
- V V S Laxman – Famous test cricketer of Indian team was born in Hyderabad on 1 Nov 1974.
- Sania Mirza – Popular Tennis player although born in Mumbai on 15 Nov 1986, resides in Hyderabad. She was the first Indian woman to win WTA title.
- P V Sindhu – Famous badminton player who won silver medal in Rio Olympics 2016 was born in Hyderabad.
- Saina Nehwal – Famous Badminton player who won bronze medal in badminton in London Olympics 2012 was born in Hisar of Haryana but resides in Hyderabad. She was also the first Indian to win Olympic medal in Badminton.
- Film Producer Ram Gopal Verma and actresses Sushmita Sen, Tabu and Farah were born in Hyderabad.
Facts About Telangana
- Telangana borders with 5 states – Chhattisgarh and Odisha in northeast, Andhra Pradesh in south, Karnataka in southwest and Maharashtra in north.
- Telangana is situated on Deccan plateau in the peninsular part of India.
- This region is drained by two main rivers Godavari and Krishna. 69 % of Krishna river and 79 % of Godavari’s cachment area is in Telangana region.
- Godavari is considered as sacred river in South India and is also called as Dakshin Ganga (Ganga of South).
- It is semi arid area and climate is mainly hot and dry.
- Mahboobnagar is largest district of Telangana by area. Ranga Reddy is the largest district by population.
- It is one of the least developed regions of the India aggravated with the problems of illiteracy , unemployment, poverty, malnutrition, child labour, water and electricity shortage and farmer suicides.
- Economy is mainly driven by agriculture. Rice is the major and staple food crop of the state.
- Ramagundam Power plant is the major Power station of the state operated by NTPC having installed capacity of 2600 MW.
- Warangal has a domestic airport which was established in year 1930 during Nizam period.
- Kuntala waterfall which is in Adilabad district is the biggest waterfall of the state.
- Culture of Telangana is blend of traditions of Mughals and Nizams of Hyderabad.
Trivia About Telangana
1. Which is the capital city of Telangana?
2. When was Telangana awarded separate statehood ?
3. Which river is known as Dakshin Ganga?
4. Which is the major Power station of the Telangana state operated by NTPC ?
5. Who is the Famous test cricketer of Indian team was born in Hyderabad?