Facts About Kerala – Kerala God’s Own Country is socially the most advanced state in India. Kerala is the land of beauty with long beaches, rivers with charming mountains. The health care system is highly advanced. Modern hospitals here match facilities available in developed countries. Everyone is literate here and most are High School educated.
With the Arabian Sea in the west, the Western Ghats towering 500-2700 m in the east and networked by 44 rivers, Kerala enjoys unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia.
Kerala enjoys India’s lowest infant mortality and highest life expectancy rates, the highest physical quality of life in India. Peaceful and pristine, Kerala is India’s cleanest state.
Nick Names of Kerala
- God’s Own Country
- Spice Garden of India
- Land of Coconut Trees
The Government of Kerala
|Arif Mohammad Khan
|Kerala High Court
|Headquartered at Kochi, Ernakulam. It is also the highest court in the Union Territory of Lakshadweep
|Justice S. Manikumar
Kerala State Symbols
|Golden Shower Tree Flower
Wildlife Sanctuaries in Kerala
- Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chimmony Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chulannur Peafowl Wildlife Sanctuary
- Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kottiyoor Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kurinjimala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Malabar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mangalavanam Bird Wildlife Sanctuary
- Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary
- Peechi-Vazhani Wildlife Sanctuary
- Peppara Wildlife Sanctuary
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary
- Thattekad Bird Wildlife Sanctuary
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary
National Parks in Kerala
- Anamudi Shola National Park
- Eravikulam National Park
- Mathikettan Shola National Park
- Pambadum Shola National Park
- Periyar National Park
- Silent Valley National Park
Biosphere Reserves in Kerala
- Agasthyamalai Biosphere Reserve
- Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve
UNESCO Heritage Site in Kerala
- Western Ghats – Includes Sahyadri Sub-Cluster, Kudremukh Sub-Cluster, Talakaveri Sub-Cluster, Nilgiri Sub-Cluster, Anamalai Sub-Cluster, Periyar Sub-Cluster and Agasthyamalai Sub-Cluster.
Other Famous Sites
- Pallakad Fort
- Napier Museum
- Koyikkal Palace
- Koder House
- Krishna Menon Museum
- Thalassery Fort
The population is nearly equally divided among the three communities. Christianity came to this land quite early. Many believe that St. Thomas, the disciple of Jesus, came to Kerala in AD 52 and founded Christianity here.
Major Cities of Kerala
- Assembly Seats: 140+ 1 Anglo Indian Nominee
- Lok Sabha Seats: 20+ 1 Anglo Indian Nominee
- Rajya Sabha seats: 9
Major Dances of Kerala
Main Festivals of Kerala
Thermal Power Plants
- Brahmapuram Power Station
- Kozhikode Power Station
- Kayamkulam Power Station
Backwaters in Kerala
Ports in Kerala
- Kochi Port – an all-weather natural harbour, is the major port present in Kerala.
- Other minor ports include Kollam Port and Vizhinjam International Seaport.
- Kerala is the only state in India where Ayurveda is still the mainstream medicine.
- Female to male sex ratio is highest in India
- Kerala is a state where you can see Asian elephants very commonly.
- National Highway 47A, also known as NH 47A, is the shortest highway in the Indian Highway network. It covers a distance of 6 km (3.7 mi) between Kundannoor and Willingdon Island in Kochi, Kerala
- Elephants are entwined with Kerala’s culture from ancient times.
- Life expectancy rate in Kerala is the highest in India.
- Kerala is the single largest producer of a number of other crops like banana and ginger, besides tea and coffee in abundance.
- Worlds first Teak Plantation was in Kerala, built by the British.
- World’s Largest and Longest Teak are in Kerala.
- World’s Only Teak Museum is in Nilambur, Kerala.
- First Recorded Kingdom: Empire Chera Ruled Kerala from Vanchi.
- Coir and cashew are two large industries in Kerala. Hand-loom and bamboo-based industries are well developed.
Famous Personalities of Kerala
|Sree Narayana Guru
|Great Saint of India
|Vaikom Mohammed Basheer
|V K Krishna Menon
|Former Defence Minister of India and renowned Statesman
|Famous poet of Kerala
|Kocheril Raman Narayanan
|Former President of India
|One of the leading lights of the New Indian Cinema
|Dr Verghese Kurien
|Father of the white revolution
|P. Krishna Pillai
|One of the first freedom fighters of Kerala
|writer awarded the Booker Prize in 1997 for The God of Small Things, located in Kerala. Born in Kerala
The Famous Onam Meal
Facts about Kerala objective questions
1. __________ is said to be the oldest martial art form in India.
2. The Portuguese sailor and explorer Vasco da Gama discovered this trade route to India. Where did he land?
3. The famous boat race held in the backwaters of the canal town of Alleppy is also called
4. In ________, Kerala became the first state in the country to have STD and ISD facilities in all its villages.
5. India’s first airport developed under a public-private partnership (PPP) model, opened in 1999, is situated in ______.