The Sixth Joint Military Training Exercise between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Forces (EXERCISE EKUVERIN – VI), will be conducted at Pangode Military Station, Trivandrum, Kerala from 31 Aug to 13 Sep 2015. A total of 45 soldiers each from the Maldivian National Defence Force and the Indian Army will take part in this exercise.
The bilateral annual exercise was commenced in 2009 in Belgaum, India. It is alternately held in India and Maldives with the aim of enhancing military cooperation and inter-operability between the two countries.
- Maldives is the chain of twenty six atolls stretches from Ihavandhippolhu Atoll to the Addu Atoll.
- The capital and largest city is Malé, traditionally called the “King’s Island”.
- The Maldives is a founding member of SAARC. It is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the Non-Aligned Movement.
- It hosted the 17th SAARC summit in 2011.
- The Maldivian economy is to a large degree based on tourism. Tourism accounts for 28% of the GDP and more than 60% of the Maldives’ foreign exchange receipts.
- Fishing remains the main occupation of the people and the government gives priority to the fisheries sector.
Test Your Knowledge
Who is the current President of Maldives?