Current Affairs – March 24 2023
Current Affairs – March 24 2023. Read and Download daily, monthly latest Current Affairs Daily Digest 2023 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2023 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
Current Affairs – March 24 2023
1. Hockey India, the National Conducting Body honoured with ‘Best Organizer Award’
Hockey India, the main executing body of the Hockey game has been honoured with the ‘Best Organizer Award’ by the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF). This regulating body is greeted for their successful implementation of the FIH Odisha Hockey Men’s World Cup 2023.
The Hockey Men’s World Cup was held in January 2023. The hosting country was Bhubaneswar-Rourkela. This Best Organizer Award has been received by Hockey India Secretary General Bhola Nath Singh during the AHF Congress which was reportedly held in Mungyeong, Korea.
Hockey Men’s World Cup 2023
The famous event of FIH Hockey World Cup event which has a total of 16 teams from across the world was held in top-notch venues. While the locations were Bhubaneswar and Rourkela, the Kalinga Hockey Stadium in Bhubaneswar has an earlier history of hosting the FIH Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018.
2. Director-Writer Pradeep Sarkar passed away at 68
Bollywood Director and Film Writer Pradeep Sarkar left for his heavenly abode at the age of 68 today i.e. March 23, 2023. His demise news came in the morning when at 3:30 am he was rushed to the Lilavati Hospital located at Bandra, Mumbai.
The reports have come that his funeral ceremony will be held at a crematory ground in Santacruz at 4 pm today. The 2005 movie ‘Parineeta’ and ‘Mardaani’ (2014) are among the top famous films that he created during his career.
3. Shrimant Kokate’s 1st book in English “Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj” released
Shrimant Kokate, a well-known Marathi author and historian, has recently released his first English book titled “Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj (illustrated)”, which has been translated by Dilip Chavan.
The book was released by Amol Kolhe, a popular MP and actor known for his portrayals of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj and Sambhaji Maharaj in Marathi TV series. Kokate is renowned for his four books on Shivaji, which have received great reviews and have been widely read. He has written a total of 10 books on various subjects.
4. Defence Ministry Inks Rs 3700 Cr Contracts with BEL for Radars and Receivers
The Indian Defence Ministry has recently signed two contracts with Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) worth more than Rs 3,700 crore, with the aim to enhance the operational capabilities of the Indian Air Force.
Under the Buy Indian – IDMM (Indigenously Designed Developed and Manufactured) category, both projects are part of the ongoing vision of Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
The first contract, worth over Rs 2,800 crore, involves the supply of Medium Power Radars (MPR) ‘Arudhra’, which have been designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and will be manufactured by BEL.
The second contract, with a cost of approximately Rs 950 crore, relates to Radar Warning Receivers (RWR).
5. Annual Bilateral Maritime Exercise Konkan 2023
The annual bilateral maritime exercise called Konkan 2023 was conducted between the Indian Navy and the Royal Navy from 20th to 22nd March 2023 off the Konkan coast in the Arabian Sea. The Royal Navy is the United Kingdom’s naval warfare force.
The exercise involved INS Trishul, a guided missile frigate, and HMS Lancaster, a Type 23 guided missile frigate, and aimed to improve cooperation and learn best practices through various maritime drills.
6. International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims
On the 24th of March every year, the International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims is commemorated in honor of Monsignor Óscar Arnulfo Romero, who was assassinated on this day in 1980.
Monsignor Romero was passionately involved in speaking out against the infringement of human rights suffered by the most marginalized people in El Salvador.
7. World Tuberculosis Day 2023 observed on 24 March
World Tuberculosis Day is observed on March 24th every year to raise awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease. The World Health Organization (WHO) aims to end the TB epidemic by 2030.
World Tuberculosis Day 2023: Theme
The theme for this year’s World Tuberculosis Day is “Yes! We can end TB!” and it focuses on urging leaders from around the world to take action to stop the TB epidemic.
8. Egypt joins BRICS bank as new member weeks after President Sisi’s India visit
After President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi visited India as a chief guest for the Republic Day celebrations, Egypt has become a member of the BRICS New Development Bank (NDB).
Egypt and BRICS New Development Bank (NDB):
- According to sources familiar with the matter, Egypt officially joined the NDB on February 20, with a formal notification issued on March 22.
- The African-Arab nation intends to enhance its infrastructure, and NDB funding can make a significant contribution toward achieving this goal.
About BRICS New Development Bank (NDB):
- It is a multilateral development bank jointly founded by the BRICS countries(Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) at the 6th BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil in 2014.
- It is headquartered at Shanghai, China.
9. Canara Bank sells stake in Russian joint venture to SBI for Rs 121 crore
Canara Bank has announced that it sold its stake in Commercial Indo Bank LLC (CIBL), a joint venture with State Bank of India (SBI), to SBI for approximately ₹121.29 crore. CIBL, which was established in 2003, operates in Russia and is owned 60% by SBI and 40% by Canara Bank.
According to Canara Bank, the sale agreement was executed on November 11, 2022.
About the Canara bank:
- Canara Bank is an Indian public sector bank under the control and ownership of Ministry of Finance, Government of India. Established in 1906 at Mangalore by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai, the bank also has offices in London, Dubai and New York.
10. Income tax dept launches mobile app AIS for Taxpayers
Income Tax Department launched a mobile application called “AIS for Taxpayer” that enables taxpayers to view their tax-related information in the Annual Information Statement (AIS) or Taxpayer Information Summary (TIS).
The app has become essential and beneficial since starting from the new financial year on April 1, Form 26AS will only show information related to tax deducted at source (TDS) and tax collection at source (TCS).