Current Affairs – March 20 2023
Current Affairs – March 20 2023. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2023 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2023 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
Current Affairs – March 20 2023
1. World’s Happiest Countries 2023 Report
The World Happiness Report 2023 has been released. According to the World Happiness Index for 2023, Finland is the happiest country in the world for the sixth year in a row. Let us have a look at the list of 10 happiest countries in the world for 2023.
10 happiest countries in the world for 2023
Finland, which is well known for its beautiful landscapes and high standard of living, continues to hold the top spot because of its straightforward way of life, dedication to sustainability, close connection to nature, and enjoyment of seasonal and local foods.
Israel and the Netherlands completed the top five, placing second and third, respectively, behind Denmark and Iceland.
2. Rohan Bopanna becomes oldest tennis player to win ATP Masters 1000 title
Rohan Bopanna, a 43-year-old Indian tennis player, and his Australian partner Matthew Ebden have become the oldest duo to win an ATP Masters 1000 title.
They won the men’s doubles final at the Indian Wells Masters 2023 tournament in California by defeating the top-seeded team of Wesley Koolhof and Neil Skupski. Bopanna and Ebden won the first set 6-3 but lost the second set 2-6. However, they managed to win the match by clinching the deciding tie-breaker 10-8.
About Bopanna career win
- Bopanna has now won 24 ATP titles, including five ATP Masters 1000, and has become the oldest player to win an ATP Masters 1000 title, breaking the record of Canadian Daniel Nestor, who won the 2015 Cincinnati Masters at the age of 42.
- This was Bopanna’s second title this year, having won the Qatar Open with Ebden last month.
3. G Krishnakumar appoints as Bharat Petroleum Corporation’s chairman
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL), a ‘Maharatna’ and a Fortune Global 500 Company, announced that G. Krishnakumar has taken over as the Chairman and Managing Director of the company.
Krishnakumar, an electrical and electronics engineer from National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli and a postgraduate in finance management from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, was executive director in the company before his elevation.
4. Lalit Kumar Gupta named as CMD of Cotton Corporation of India (CCI)
Lalit Kumar Gupta has been approved as the new Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of the Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). CCI is a public sector undertaking under the Ministry of Textile.
An order from the Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT) has been issued, stating that Gupta will assume the role of CMD of CCI with immediate effect, for a period of five years or until his superannuation, or until further orders, whichever comes first.
About Cotton Corporation of India (CCI)
- Cotton Corporation of India Headquarters: Mumbai;
- Cotton Corporation of India Founded: 1970.
5. Global Terrorism Index – India ranked 13th, topped by Afghanistan
Afghanistan remains the country most impacted by terrorism for the fourth consecutive year, despite attacks and deaths falling by 75 per cent and 58 per cent, respectively, the tenth Global Terrorism Index (GTI) report showed.
India ranked 13th on the index, marking only a marginal decrease from the previous year. In spite of being among the 25 worst-hit nations on the index, Indian respondents desisted from selecting war and terrorism as the biggest threat to their daily safety.
India: Key findings of the Global Terrorism Index (GTI):
- India was listed among countries with a “high” impact of terrorism and ranked 13th.
- India was among the 25 worst terror-hit countries and among 56 of the 120 nations surveyed with no respondents selecting war and terror as the biggest threat to their daily safety.
- The report lists the Communist Party of India (Maoist) as the 12th deadliest terror group in 2022.
6. Luxor Selects Virat Kohli as Brand Ambassador
Luxor Writing Instruments Pvt Ltd, a stationery manufacturer, has appointed renowned cricketer Virat Kohli as its latest brand ambassador. Kohli is widely regarded as one of the best cricketers of all time, having set numerous records throughout his career.
He will represent Luxor’s stationery products and help the company increase its appeal among young writers, thereby enhancing its position as a prominent writing instrument provider in the country.
7. International Day of Happiness 2023 celebrates on 20 March
The International Day of Happiness is an annual celebration that occurs on March 20. International Day of Happiness’s purpose is to emphasize the importance of happiness and the overall well-being of individuals. The United Nations initiated this event in 2013, following Bhutan’s advocacy for national happiness.
International Day of Happiness 2023: Theme
The theme of International Day of Happiness for this year has been kept as “Be Mindful, Be Grateful, Be Kind.”
8. World Oral Health Day 2023 observed on 20th March
World Oral Health Day is observed globally every year on March 20, with the primary objective of increasing awareness about the significance of oral health.
The Oral Health day aims to encourage individuals to adopt good oral hygiene practices, take care of their teeth, and learn ways to prevent dental problems.
World Oral Health Day 2023: Theme
The World Dental Federation (FDI) launches a campaign for World Oral Health Day every year with a specific theme. The theme for 2023 is ‘Be Proud of Your Mouth,’.
9. Sampanna Ramesh sets record as fastest Indian to swim across Palk Strait
Sampanna Ramesh Shelar, a Bachelor of Physical Education student, has set a new record by becoming the fastest Indian in the under-21 category to swim across the Palk Strait, from Talaimannar in Sri Lanka to Dhanuskodi in Tamil Nadu.
He completed the 29 km distance in just 5 hours and 30 minutes, beating the previous record of 8 hours and 26 minutes. Shelar started his swim at 6:00 am on Thursday and reached Dhanushkodi at 11:26 am.
He is coached by Mr. Jitendra Khasnis and plans to complete solo swims across the English and Catalina Channels to achieve the Oceans Seven Challenge.
10. Modi’s Atmanirbhar Bharat to attain Energy Independence by 2047
- The fifth largest economy in the world, India is likely to achieve energy independence by 2047. PM Narendra Modi’s Atmanirbhar Bharat will prove to be a gateway for future growth.
- This can only be possible through clean technology according to a report issued by a leading US Research Institute.
- Talking about the current scenario, India is almost 80-85 per cent reliant on imports in order to fulfil its oil and coal requirements. However, a significant drop in clean energy costs is a great chance for the country to accelerate its investment in battery storage, renewable energy, etc.
11. World Sparrow Day 2023 is observed on March 20
Every year on March 20, people celebrate World Sparrow Day. It is designated to raise awareness about sparrow conservation and protection, as their numbers are declining globally. The first commemoration of the day occurred in 2010.
The goal of the day is to educate people about the value of sparrows in the ecosystem, their role in pollination, and their importance in pest control.
Theme for World Sparrow Day 2023
The theme of World Sparrow Day 2023 is “I Love Sparrows”,