Current Affairs – March 13 2023
Current Affairs – March 13 2023. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2023 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2023 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
Current Affairs – March 13 2023
1. What is Yaoshang Festival?
- Celebrated over five days during the full moon day of the Lamda month (February-March), Yaosang is one of the key festivals in Manipur.
- The festival is part of the indigenous traditions of the Meitei people. It begins just after sunset in every village with the Yaosang Mei thaba (burning of the straw hut).
- The Manipuris celebrate Holi as the Yaoshang festival. The festival is celebrated for five days. It is celebrated to mark the beginning of spring. Worshippers sing hymns and kirtans on this day.
2. IREDA gets ‘Infrastructure Finance Company’ status from RBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted an ‘Infrastructure Finance Company (IFC)’ status to Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) today. It was earlier classified as ‘Investment and Credit Company (ICC)’.
- With the IFC status, IREDA will be able to take higher exposure in RE financing. The IFC status will also help the company to access wider investor base for fund mobilisation, resulting in competitive rates for fund raising.
- IREDA has been promoting, developing and financing new and renewable sources of energy with the motto: “Energy for Ever” since 1987.
3. MoC to strengthen research cooperation between India and Sweden
A Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) was signed between Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), and The Swedish Foundation for International Cooperation in Research and Higher Education (STINT), Stockholm, Sweden, to strengthen cooperation and promote research networking between research institutions from both countries.
- The MoC aims to promote mobility funding opportunities in both countries. It will facilitate academic cooperation through mobility activities as well as through seminars, workshops and conferences.
- India and Sweden will take forward joint S&T efforts particularly in smart cities, artificial intelligence, quantum computer, transportation, and many more futuristic technologies.
4. A book titled “India’s Struggle for Independence – Gandhian Era” released
Supreme Court Judge Justice V. Ramasubramanian has released a book titled India’s Struggle for Independence – Gandhian Era.
The book, authored by P. Jyothimani, former Judge, Madras High Court, and G. Balan, former professor of history, Pachiayappa’s College, and published by Vanathi Pathipagam, was released at an event held at the University of Madras. The book covers aspects such as the relevance of Mahatma Gandhi as of the date.
5. GoI appoints Siddhartha Mohanty as interim chairman of LIC
For a period of three months beginning March 14, the Center has chosen Siddhartha Mohanty as the interim chairman of the Life Insurance Company of India (LIC). Currently the managing director and CEO of LIC Housing Finance, Mohanty will take over as MD of the Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) on February 1st, 2021.
Mohanty currently serves as the CEO and MD of LIC Housing Finance. Beginning on February 1st, 2021, he will serve as the MD of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC).
6. Vyas Samman 2022: Gyan Chaturvedi to be awarded for ‘Pagalkhana’
Vyas Samman 2022: Pagalkhana, a 2018 satirical novel by renowned Hindi author Dr. Gyan Chaturvedi, has been chosen for the 32nd Vyas Samman. Dr. Chaturvedi’s Pagalkhana (mental hospital) was chosen for the prestigious Vyas Samman by a selection committee led by distinguished author Prof. Ramji Tiwari.
7. Tech Mahindra named former Infosys President Mohit Joshi as MD and CEO
Former Infosys President Mohit Joshi has been appointed as the company’s Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for a term of 5 years, beginning on December 20, 2023, and ending on December 19, 2028, according to IT services provider Tech Mahindra (both days inclusive).
Gurnani, who was one of the longest-serving CEOs in the Indian IT industry, will be succeeded by Mohit Joshi.
8. Ashok Leyland unveils all-women production line at Tamil Nadu plant
Indian commercial vehicle manufacturer, Ashok Leyland, has launched an “All Women Production Line” with 100 per cent female employees at its Hosur plant in Tamil Nadu. The initiative to introduce an all-women production line is to promote women empowerment and encourage them take up roles in manufacturing industry.
About Ashok Leyland :
Ashok Leyland Ltd. manufactures commercial vehicles and spare parts in India and Internationally. It was founded by Raghunandan Saran on September 7, 1948 and is headquartered in Chennai, India.
9. India, France conduct Maritime Partnership Exercise (MPX)
Indian Navy’s indigenously built guided missile frigate, INS Sahyadri participated in a Maritime Partnership Exercise (MPX) with French Navy (FN) ships FS Dixmude, a Mistral Class Amphibious Assault Ship and FS La Fayette, a La Fayette Class Frigate, in the Arabian Sea. The partnership exercise was conducted on March 10-11.
According to the Ministry of Defence, the exercise witnessed a wide spectrum of evolutions at sea which included cross-deck landings, boarding exercises and seamanship evolutions. The seamless conduct of the exercise reaffirmed the interoperability and high level of cooperation between the two navies.
10. Oscars 2023: The Elephant Whisperers wins in Best Documentary Short Category
The Elephant Whisperers, a Netflix documentary short from Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga, has won the 95th Academy Awards‘ Best Documentary Short award. The movie was up against ‘Stranger At The Gate’, ‘Haulout’, and ‘How Do You Measure a Year?’ The award is an honour of “my motherland, India,” said director Gonzalves.
The 41-minute short documentary, which was produced by Achin Jain and Guneet Monga and was directed by Kartiki Gonsalves, centres on a Tamil Nadu family who adopts two orphaned baby elephants from the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve.
For the 95th Academy Awards, India received a total of three nominations: for Best Original Song (RRR’s “Naatu Naatu”), Best Documentary Feature Film (Shaunak Sen’s All That Breathes), and Best Documentary Short (Kartiki Gonsalves-directed The Elephant Whisperers).
11. India received Golden & Silver Star at ‘Golden City Gate Tourism Awards
The International Golden City Gate Tourism Awards 2023 in the categories of “TV/Cinema Commercials International and Country International” were won by the Indian Ministry of Tourism and Government of India, respectively.
As part of a global effort on advertising in the post-Covid period to reopen opportunities in India, the award has been granted to promotional films/television ads made by the Ministry. On March 8, 2023, at ITB, Berlin, Shri Arvind Singh, Secretary (Tourism), Government of India, accepted the honours.
12. Oscars 2023: RRR’s “Naatu Naatu” wins Best Original Song
Oscars awards 2023: The 95th Academy Awards (Oscars 2023) have announced that RRR‘s “Naatu Naatu” won Best Original Song. The song had to beat out songs like “Applause” from Tell It Like a Woman, “Hold My Hand” from Top Gun: Maverick, “Lift Me Up” from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, and “This is Life” from Everything Everywhere All At Once. The Oscars 2023 was accepted by lyricist Chandrabose and composer Keeravani.
About RRR Movie:
Drawing inspiration from the lives of freedom fighters Komaram Bheem and Alluri Sitarama Raju, RRR narrates a fictional tale set in the 1920s. The film boasts an ensemble cast, starring the likes of Jr NTR, Ram Charan, Ajay Devgn, Alia Bhatt, Olivia Morris, Samuthirakani, Alison Doody, and Ray Stevenson.
13. PM Modi inaugurates world’s longest railway platform in Hubballi, Karnataka
Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated World`s longest railway platform of 1.5 kilometres at Sri Siddhaarooda railway station in Hubballi in the state of Karnataka.
The inauguration of the platform was done during the PM’s Karnataka visit in the presence of Union Minister Pralhad Joshi. It is to be noted that Indian Railways, South Western Railway Zones Hubbali is now registered in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the longest platform.
- Gorakhpur platform in Uttar Pradesh is the second longest at 1,366.33 meters, and Kollam Junction in Kerala has the third longest platform at 1,180.5 meters.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *