Current Affairs – January 17 2023
Current Affairs – January 17 2023. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2023 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2023 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
Current Affairs – January 17 2023
1. Ministry of Environment Included Neelakurinji on the List of Protected Plants
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF) has listed Neelakurinji under Schedule III of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972, including it on the list of protected plants. Neelakurinji has been included in the list after the Center increased the earlier protected list of six plant species to 19.
- It has also given the name Nilgiris to the mountains of the region owing to its blue color.
- Neelakurinji takes 12 years to grow and bloom covering the whole valley.
2. ISRO ‘Shukrayaan I’ mission to planet Venus reportedly shifted to 2031
P. Sreekumar, the Satish Dhawan Professor at the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and advisor to its space science programme, stated that the organisation has not yet received approval from the Indian government for the Venus mission and that, as a result, the mission may be delayed until 2031.
3. World’s richest actor list, Shah Rukh Khan beats Tom Cruise
Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan with his more than three decades of work in the film industry has garnered millions of fans all over the world and an estimated net worth of ₹627 million ($770 million), making him the richest actor in Asia and fourth richest actor all over the world.
Beating fellow immensely famous and cult actors like Tom Cruise, Jackie Chan, and George Clooney, Shah Rukh Khan took the fourth position in the list of eight richest actors of the world released by World of Statistics.
Richest actors in the world:
- Jerry Seinfeld (US): $1 Billion
- Tyler Perry (US): $1 Billion
- Dwayne Johnson (US): $800 million
- Shah Rukh Khan (Indian): $770 million
- Tom Cruise (US): $620 million
- Jackie Chan (Hong Kong): $520 million
- George Clooney (US): $500 million
- Robert De Niro (US): $500 million
4. Viacom18 bagged Women’s IPL media rights for Rs 951 cr for next 5 years
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced that Viacom 18 have grabbed the media rights for the upcoming Women’s IPL for a whopping Rs 951 crore for five years, pipping other bidders, including Disney Star and Sony, in the auction.
The auction for the T20 League was conducted by the cricket board in Mumbai. The global rights comprise three categories linear (TV), digital and combined (TV and digital).
5. Government e Marketplace (GeM) has launched a new initiative “Womaniya on GeM”
The Government e Marketplace (GeM) has launched a new initiative called “Womaniya on GeM” to empower women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups (WSHGs) to sell their products directly to various government ministries, departments, and institutions. The initiative aims to develop women entrepreneurship on the margins of society to achieve gender-inclusive economic growth.
6. India’s First School of Logistics, Waterways, and Communication
India’s first School of Logistics, Waterways, and Communication was launched in Agartala. The Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and Ayush, Sarbananda Sonowal, along with Dr. Manik Saha, Chief Minister of Tripura, jointly inaugurated the school.
The school aims to enable the rich pool of talent in the region to become world-class experts in the transportation and logistics sector.
7. “RRR” Takes the Critics’ Choice Awards
SS Rajamouli’s RRR, an Indian film directed by SS Rajamouli and featuring Jr NTR and Ram Charan in lead roles, took home two awards at the 28th Annual Critics’ Choice Award held in Los Angeles. The film won the award for best feature film in a foreign language and the best song. The Critics’ Choice awards mark the fourth major international award for the film that has scored big at the box office and is also among the favorites among critics all over the world.
8. “VIRAASAT’ – Celebrating Handloom Home Décor to begin from January 20, 2023
The Ministry of Textiles is going to organize “VIRAASAT’ – Celebrating Handloom Home Décor – Special Handloom Expo – at Handloom Haat, New Delhi from 20.01.2023 to 30.01.2023 to showcase the Home Décor products made by Handloom.
Meanwhile, nearly month-long exclusive handloom sari exhibition “VIRAASAT”- Celebrating 75 handwoven Saris of India’, concluded on Tuesday. The Ministry of Textiles organized the exhibition in which 160 participants from different parts of the country exhibited famous Handcrafted varieties of Saris.