Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 21 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 21 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. RPF launches ‘Meri Saheli’ initiative on AP Express
Railway Protection Force (RPF), Visakhapatnam has started implementing ‘Meri Saheli’ initiative in AP Express (Visakhapatnam to New Delhi), in order to provide proactive security to women passengers.
2. Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik launches ‘Mo Bidyut’ portal
Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik has launched the electricity consumer service portal ”Mo Bidyut” and a mobile app through video conference. The bilingual online electricity integrated consumer service portal www.mobidyut.com developed by the Energy Department and dedicated to the public under 5T (Teamwork, Transparency, Technology, Time leading to Transformation) initiative of the state government.
- Chief Minister of Odisha: Naveen Patnaik.
- Odisha Capital: Bhubaneswar.
- Odisha Governor: Ganeshi Lal.
3. October 21: Police Commemoration Day
Every year National Police commemoration Day is observed on October 21. The day is observed to pay homage to the CRPF personnel who lost their lives during an ambush by the Chinese troops in 1959 in the hot spring area of Ladakh region.
4. India-Indonesia: 5th Joint Working Group on Coal to be held in November, 2020
India and Indonesia are to hold the fifth joint working group on coal. The virtual meeting is to deliberate on Indian Coal policy reforms such as coal exploration and commercial coal mining, research and development and potential in off Indonesia India business cooperation on coal in the post covid-19.
5. NATO to set up new Space Centre in Ramstein, Germany
The North Atlantic Treaty organisation is to setup a new Space Centre in Ramstein, Germany. The centre is to serve as a co-ordination Centre for space observation.
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
6. Union Cabinet approves bonus for central govt employees, 30.67 lakh to benefit
The Union Cabinet on October 21, 2020 approved bonus for central government employees for the year 2019-2020. Around 30.67 lakh employees are expected to benefit from the announcement. The cabinet was chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
7. India ranked 2nd in OECD International Migration Outlook report
India has acquired the second rank in terms of the number of migrants going to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries and acquiring the citizenship of those countries. China retained its top spot with 4.3 lakh migrants, which was 1 per cent lower than the 2019 report.
8. NK Singh launches his autobiography ‘Portraits Of Power’
Veteran Economist and bureaucrat N K (Nand Kishore) Singh has released his autobiography titled “Portraits of Power: Half a Century of Being at Ringside”. The book portrays the life of NK Singh who played an active role in the development of the Indian economy.
He is currently serving as the Chairman of the 15th Finance Commission. The book is published by Rupa Publications India.
9. Veteran TV Actress Zarina Roshan Khan passes away
Renowned TV actress, Zarina Roshan Khan passed away. She was fondly remembered for her role in the television show ‘Kumkum Bhagya’ as Indu Dadi. Zarina had begun her career as a stunt woman, before taking up acting as a profession and has featured in several shows and films.
10. International Chef’s Day: 20 October
International Chefs Day is observed globally on 20 October every year. The day aims to celebrate and honour the noble profession and educate people around the world about eating healthy. It is also the day for experienced chefs to pass on their knowledge and culinary skills to the next generation with a sense of pride and commitment.
11. ADB and India inks USD 177 million loan for Maharashtra
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India have signed a loan agreement worth USD 177 million, to upgrade 450 km of state highways and major district roads in Maharashtra.
- Chief Minister of Maharashtra: Uddhav Thackeray; Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
- Asian Development Bank Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- Asian Development Bank Founded: 19 December 1966.
12. Australia to join Malabar-2020 Naval Exercise with India, US & Japan
India has invited Australia to participate in its trilateral naval exercise “Malabar-2020” which is scheduled to be held in November 2020, in the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea. In 2020, the exercise will be held in a ‘non-contact – at sea’ format. It aims to increase cooperation and enhance safety and security in the maritime security domain.
- Chief of Naval Staff: Admiral Karambir Singh.
- Indian Navy Founded: 26 January 1950.
13. India’s Elavenil Valarivan wins gold in International Air Rifle Championship
In Shooting, the world number one Elavenil Valarivan of India won the gold medal in women’s event of the 2020 Sheikh Russel International Air Rifle Championship. The event was organised by Bangladesh Shooting Sport Federation (BSSF).
- Prime Minister of Bangladesh: Sheikh Hasina
- Capital: Dhaka; Currency: Taka.