Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 17 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 17 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. October 17: International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
Every year, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is marked on October 17 by the United Nations. This year, the day is observed under the theme
Theme: Acting together to achieve social and environmental justice for all
2. Mission Shakti launched in Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh Government launched “Mission Shakti” for women empowerment in the state. It aims to reduce crime against women in the state. Under the scheme, the state will have a separate room for women complainants in 1,535 police stations spread all over the state.
3. What is KAPILA Campaign?
The Union Education Minister Ramesh pokhriyal nishank recently launched KAPILA campaign. It is Kalam Programme for Intellectual Property Literacy and Awareness campaign. The campaign was launched to celebrate the 89 birth anniversary of former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. His birth anniversary is celebrated as World Students Day all over the world.
4. Global Hunger Index, 2020
The Global hunger index was launched. It is jointly prepared by Welhunger life and Concern Worldwide. According to the report, India ranked 94th among 107countries. The report put India under serious category with the score of 27.2.
5. India to become free of Trans Fat by 2022
The Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan announced that India has set a target of becoming trans-fat free by 2022. This target is year ahead of the target of World Health Organisation.
The announcement was made when the Minister presided over an event organised by the food safety and Standards Authority of India to celebrate the World Food Day. The World Food Day is celebrated by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation every year on October 16.
6. IWF appoint Michael Irani as interim president
Dr Michael Irani of Great Britain (GBR) has been appointed as the Interim President of the International Weightlifting Federation(IWF), at the meeting of the IWF Executive Board, in accordance with the constitution of IWF. Michael Irani was appointed following the resignation of IWF President Tamás Aján.
- International Weightlifting Federation Headquarters: Budapest, Hungary.
- International Weightlifting Federation Founded: 1905.
7. Vishal V Sharma appointed India’s next permanent representative to UNESCO
Vishal V. Sharma has been appointed as the next Permanent Representative of India to the Permanent Delegation of India to United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), with the rank of Ambassador. He will replace Jawed Ashraf. Sharma is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- UNESCO headquarters: Paris, France.
- UNESCO Head: Audrey Azoulay.
- UNESCO Founded: 16 November 1945.
8. 36th Raising Day of National Security Guard
The 36th Raising Day of National Security Guard (NSG) is observed on 16 October. NSG plays a crucial role in India’s security apparatus. It has been associated with the utmost courage and professionalism.
- National Security Guard Headquarters: New Delhi.
- DG of National Security Guard: Anup Kumar Singh.
- The motto of National Security Guard: Sarvatra Sarvottam Suraksha.
9. A book titled ‘The Battle of Belonging’ authored by Shashi Tharoor
Renowned Author and Politician, Shashi Tharoor is set to release his new book titled “The Battle of Belonging” is set to be released in November 2020. The book is published by Aleph Book Company. Shashi Tharoor described this book as his “magnum opus” on the Theory, evolution and practice of Nationalism across the globe and especially in India.
10. Bihar Panchayati Raj Minister Kapil Deo Kamat passes away
The senior Janata Dal (United) leader Kapil Deo Kamat, who was serving as the Panchayati Raj Minister of Bihar, passed away due to COVID-19. He was a JDU MLA from Babubarhi assembly constituency in Madhubani district, Bihar.
11. J&K L-G announces ‘My Town My Pride’ programme
Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha has announced that the government is coming up with a movement called ”My Town My Pride” from October 19 to provide governance at the doorsteps in urban areas on the pattern of the ”Back to Village” programme.