Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 11 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 11 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. October 11: International Day of the Girl Child
Every year, International Day of the Girl Child is celebrated by UNICEF. It is celebrated on October 11. This year, the day is celebrated under the following theme
Theme: My voice, our equal future
2. Polish teen Iga Swiatek beats Sofia Kenin to win French Open title
With the poise of a veteran and the shots of a champion, 19-year-old Iga Swiatek picked the perfect place for her first tour-level title: the French Open.
Unseeded and ranked merely 54th, Swiatek grabbed the last six games to beat Sofia Kenin 6-4, 6-1 in the final at Roland Garros on Saturday, becoming the first Polish tennis player to win a Grand Slam singles trophy.
3. Poet Nityananda Nayak to receive Sarala Puraskar
NOTED Odia poet Nityanand Nayak will be conferred the prestigious Sarala Puraskar for his poetry work ‘Setebelaku Nathiba’, published in 2017. The poet will be felicitated with a cash award of `5 lakh and a citation.
4. Kyrgyzstan parliament names Sadyr Zhaparov new prime minister
Kyrgyzstan’s parliament named Sadyr Zhaparov the prime minister, who was freed from prison on by his supporters protesting against the results of the Oct. 4 parliamentary elections.
- Kyrgyzstan Capital: Bishkek
- Kyrgyzstan President: Sooronbay Jeenbekov
5. Director Vijay passes away
Veteran film-maker B. Vijaya Reddy, better known as Vijay in the Kannada film industry, passed away in Chennai. The 84-year-old is most remembered for his collaboration with Dr. Rajkumar to deliver some of his super-hit films.
6. Amit Banerjee assumes charge as new director, rail and metro business, of BEML
Amit Banerjee assumed Charge as the Director (Rail and Metro Business) and Member on the Board of BEML Limited.
A graduate in Mechanical Engineering from IIT (BHU), Varanasi, Banerjee had joined BEML as assistant engineer in 1984, the company said in a statement.
7. Indian teenager Nihal Sarin wins Junior Speed Chess Championship
Indian teenager created history (October 10) by winning the Chess.com’s 2020 Junior Speed Online Chess Championship, defeating Russia’s Alexey Sarana 18-7 in the final.
With this win, Sarin, 16, earned USD 8,766 and also qualified for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship Final which will feature the world’s best players.
8. India to be third-largest economy in world by 2050, says study
Indian economy will become the third-largest in the world by 2050 after the United States and China, a study published in the Lancet journal has said. Currently, India is at fifth spot followed by France and the United Kingdom.
9. Argentina becomes 1st nation to approve genetically modified wheat
Argentina has approved HB4 drought-resistant GMO wheat by biotechnology firm Bioceres, making it the first country in the world to approve a strain of GMO wheat. Bioceres said it will only begin marketing HB4 once it’s approved for importation by Brazil. Argentina’s government said the HB4 technology provides seeds that are more tolerant to drought and helps minimize production losses.
- Argentina President – Alberto Fernández
- Argentina Capital – Buenos Aires