IT major Wipro has acquired for $500 million, Appirio, a US-based services firm with a large offshore presence that helps corporates implement cloud applications such as SalesForce. Appirio is the second biggest acquisition by Wipro, after Infocrossing, which it bought for $ 600 million in 2007.
- Appirio was founded by Chris Barbin, Mike O’Brien, Glenn Weistein and Narinder Singh in 2006. The nearly decade old firm had revenues of $ 200 million in 2015.
- Appirio has an India offshore base in Jaipur, where majority of its 1,250 people workforce is located. Apprio says its customers include eBay, Facebook, Home Depot, Sony PlayStation, IBM and Cardinal Health.
- In an increasingly digital world, as consumer behaviors and expectations continue to be reshaped by experiences, companies are recognizing that they need to transform how they engage with customers and employees by leveraging the power of Cloud.
- Appirio and Wipro are coming together to unlock transformational synergies in the applications space and help enterprises create new business models,” said Abidali Z. Neemuchwala, Chief Executive Officer & Member of the Board, Wipro Limited in a statement.
- Wipro will consolidate its existing cloud applications practices of Salesforce and Workday under the Appirio brand and structure. Chris Barbin, Chief Executive Officer of Appirio, will lead the expanded business, it said.