SAUR SUJALA YOJANA
Saur Sujala Yojana is a scheme launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Chhatttisgarh for farmers on 1st November 2016 on the occasion of 16th statehood anniversary of Chhattisgarh. Under the Saur Sujala Yojana, the state government would provide solar powered irrigation pumps to farmers in Chhattisgarh.
About Solar Irrigation Power Pumps:
A solar-powered pump is a pump running on electricity generated by photo voltaic panels or the radiated thermal energy available from collected sunlight as opposed to grid electricity or diesel run water pumps.
- The operation of solar powered pumps is more economical mainly due to the lower operation and maintenance costs and has less environmental impact than pumps powered by an internal combustion engine (ICE).
- Solar pumps are useful where grid electricity is unavailable and alternative sources (in particular wind) do not provide sufficient energy.
- Solar powered water pumps can deliver drinking water as well as water for livestock or irrigation purposes.
- Solar water pumps may be especially useful in small scale or community based irrigation, as large scale irrigation requires large volume of water that in turn require a large solar PV array.
- As the water may only be required during some parts of the year, a large PV array would provide excess energy that is not necessarily required, thus making the system inefficient.
- Solar PV water pumping systems are used for irrigation and drinking water in India. The majority of the pumps are fitted with a 2000 watt – 3700 watt motor that receives energy from a 4800 water pump PV array.
- The 5HP systems can deliver about 1,24,000 litres of water/day from a total of 50 meters set off head and 70 meters dynamic head.
Why Saur Sujala Yojana?
Chhattisgarh is a land of agriculture and irrigation. Saur Sujala Yojana is a Central government initiative directed towards the betterment and welfare of the farmers of the state of Chhattisgarh. Under this scheme, solar pumps will be distributed to the farmers which will help them in agriculture and irrigating their farm-lands. There are quite a many villages in Chhattisgarh where the distributions of electricity have not been possible till date by the state government. Hence the Saur Sujala Yojana will become a blessing for those farmers who want irrigation facilities that need electric power. Through these centrally subsidized solar pumps, they will be able to irrigate their lands by pumping water with the help of solar energy.
About Saur Sujala Yojana:
Chhattisgarh was the first state to implement the Saur Sujala Yojana. Under the scheme, solar powered irrigation pumps of 3HP and 5HP capacity worth Rs. 3.5 lakh and Rs. 4.5 lakh respectively would be distributed to the farmers by March 31, 2019.
- It is noted that 51,000 farmers would be benefitted in the state with the launch of the scheme in next two years. The scheme will be given priority in those areas where electricity connection has not reached yet.
- The effect of the foundation that Chhattisgarh is laying for the growth and the schemes it is designing and implementing for the welfare of poor people will remain for the century.
“The Centre is taking all necessary measures to promote farmers, villager and poor people”
-PM Narendra Modi
- The main objective of the Saur Sujala Yojana is to empower farmers by providing them solar irrigation pumps at subsidized rates.
- The scheme is also aimed at strengthen the agriculture and rural development in Chhattisgarh.
Implementation of the scheme:
- The scheme would be implemented on priority basis in the areas where electricity has not reached yet.
- The government has decided to distribute two types of solar pumps to the beneficiaries of Saur Sujala Yojana.
- These solar pumps will be of two different capacities and configurations.
- The first type of solar pump is 3HP and this will be beneficial for the small scale farmers for performing their irrigation activities.
- The second type is the 5HP solar pump which is higher capacity and has ability to pump more water. This will be beneficial to the mid to large scale farmers with more farmland.
- Both these solar pumps are highly efficient and CREDA (Chhattisgarh Renewable Energy Development Agency) provide technical support in installation and maintenance of this solar pump.
Features of the scheme:
- The subsidized rate of the 3HP solar pump would be Rs.7000 to Rs.18000 and for the 5HP solar pump it is expected to be around Rs.10000 to Rs.20000. The exact amount of subsidy that would be given to the farmers has not been announced as of now.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned financial assistance of Rs 171 crore to the state government for implementation of its flagship programme Saur Sujala Yojana. Under the scheme, 11,000 solar-powered irrigation pump sets will be installed in Chhattisgarh in the fiscal 2016-17.
- The aid would be utilised by the state governmnet to install 4000-3HP solar pumpsets and 7000-5HP sets in the fields at subsidy price through Energy Department Chhattisgarh State Renewable Energy Development Agency (CREDA).
- NABARD’s (Raipur office) chief general manager Dr RM Kummur said that this project will not only decrease the dependence on fossil fuel for farm energy requirement but will also improve irrigation facility in those farms where providing conventional electricity is not feasible due to difficult terrain.
- Besides, the farmers of the districts located in central plain of the state, this project will be a boon for the farmers in Bastar and Sarguja divisions.