Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched an online “clean my coach” service that allows travellers to get their compartments cleaned by sending an SMS or by using an app or a designated website. As per the scheme, for any cleaning requirement in the coach, passengers have to send an SMS on a mobile number 58888. Alternatively, passengers can use the android app or Web page www.cleanmycoach.com for logging the request.
Following this, a passenger’s request is immediately acknowledged via SMS on mobile phone along with a code. This service empowers the citizen to get an important service on board and is in line with the objectives of the ‘Digital India’ programme. Mr. Prabhu had announced this scheme in the rail budget for the next fiscal.
The minister said “taking forward the momentum on ‘Swachh Rail, Swachh Bharat’, we intend taking a string of measures to improve the cleanliness on stations and trains”.
Did You Know?
- Indian Railway is constructing the highest rail bridge over Chenab, in J&K.
- The Indian Railways website gets close to 12 Lakh hits per minute
- The trains got toilets after Indian Railways completed about 50 years!
- The longest tunnel in the country is 11.215 kilometers long. It is the Pir Panjal Railway tunnel in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The longest running train covers a distance of 4273 km between Dibrugarh and Kanyakumari: It’s called the Vivek Express