Who is Nick Vujicic??
Can you believe your life without both the legs and hands?? Imagine!! Neither you could able to walk nor care for your basic needs. Meet Nicholas Vujicic, who was born to Dushka and Boris Vujicic on 4 December 1982 in Melbourne, Australia. The infant, though healthy in all other aspects, was born with autosomal recessive tetra-amelia, a rare condition where the child has no limbs at all, except feet with just two toes.
Initially, a Victoria state law prevented Nick from attending a mainstream school due to his physical disability in spite of a lack of mental impairment. However, Vujicic became one of the first physically disabled students integrated into a mainstream school once those laws changed. He gradually learnt to use his feet to write, type, play, and shave. However, his lack of limbs made him a target for school friends and he fell into a severe depression. At age eight, he contemplated suicide and even tried to drown himself in his bathtub at age ten; his love for his parents prevented him from following through. He also stated in his music video “Something More” that God had a plan for his life and he could not bring himself to drown because of this.
Nick prayed very hard that God would give him arms and legs, and initially told God that, if his prayer remained unanswered, Nick would not praise him indefinitely. However, a key turning point in his faith came when his mother showed him a newspaper article about a man dealing with a severe disability. Vujicic realized he wasn’t unique in his struggles and began to embrace his lack of limbs. After this, Nick realized his accomplishments could inspire others and became grateful for his life.
Nick gradually figured out how to live a full life without limbs, adapting many of the daily skills limbed people accomplish without thinking. Nick writes with two toes on his left foot and a special grip that slid onto his big toe. He knows how to use a computer and can type up to 45 words per minute using the “heel and toe” method. He has also learned to throw tennis balls, play drum pedals, get a glass of water, comb his hair, brush his teeth, answer the phone and shave, in addition to participating in golf, swimming, and even sky-diving.
- During secondary school, he was elected captain of MacGregor State in Queensland and worked with the student council on fundraising events for local charities and disability campaigns. When he was seventeen, he started to give talks at his prayer group, and later founded his non-profit organization, Life Without Limbs.
- Despite early challenges, Vujicic graduated from Griffith University at the age of 21 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree, with a double major in accountancy and financial planning.
- He started his inspirational speeches since when he was 19. After that he travelled around the world to share his story. In 2005, he started an international non-profit organisation, “Life without limbs“.
- He has said that “If God can use a man without arms and legs to be His hands and feet, then He will certainly use any willing heart!“.
- In March 2008, Nick appeared in the ’20/20′ television series aired in the United States, for an interview, taken by presenter Bob Cummings.
- Vujicic featured in a short film titled ‘The Butterfly Circus‘, directed by Joshua Weigel in 2009. It also starred Mexican actor, Eduardo Verástegui, and American DougJones.
- The movie won a lot of accolades, including the first prize awarded by the ‘Doorpost Film Project’, and the ‘Best Short Film’ at the ‘Method Fest Independent Film Festival’, as well as the ‘The Feel Good Film Festival’.
- In 2010, Nick wrote a book, ‘Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life‘, under the banner of publishing company, ‘Random House’. He also released a DVD titled ‘Biography of a Determined Man of Faith’.
- Vujicic gave a heart-rending speech in Switzerland, at the ‘World Economic Forum’, for their Annual Meeting’s special session, ‘Inspired for a Lifetime‘, in 2011.
- In 2013, Vujicic travelled to 24 countries where he not only preached in large venues but also met with government officials, including the President of Singapore,
- Tony Tan, the President of Uruguay, Jose Mujica and Taiwan president Ma Ying-jeou. In 2014 he said that, he intends to share his message with 400 million more people.
Nick the Motivator:-
- Vujicic urges his listeners that the way to find hope even in the hardest of situations is not to just maintain a positive attitude, but to find strength in a personal relationship with God.
- His advice to people with similar disabilities is to understand that they are loved by God and that God sees them and their actions.
- Vujicic advises readers not to wallow in self pity, but to learn to accept the gift of life, learn to laugh, give thanks to God and be willing to serve others before oneself.
- His main goal, he notes, is to share God’s love with his readers and listeners, whom he wishes to experience the brightness and satisfaction he believes that God planned for them.
- He often says that people ask him “why are you so happy?” He answers that he is happy because he is one of God’s creations and that there are no limits on his life and goals.
- Vujicic married Kanae Miyahara, on 12 February 2012. Their first son, Kiyoshi James, was born in 2013, and their second, Dejan Levi, was born in August 2015.
- Vujicic enjoys fishing, painting and swimming. He and his family live in Southern California.
Awards and Honours:-
- In 1990, Vujicic won the Australian Young Citizen Award.
- In 2005 he was nominated for the Young Australian of the Year.
- In 2007, Vujicic was a recipient of a Well Done Award through the Kingdom Assignment organization.
- In March 2008, Vujicic was interviewed by Bob Cummings for the 20/20 American television show.
- For his role in The Butterfly Circus, Vujicic won the Best Actor award for his debut performance.
- Life Without Limits: Inspiration of a Ridiculously Good Life (2010).
- Your Life Without Limits (2012).
- Limitless: Devotions for a Ridiculously Good Life (2013).
- Unstoppable: The Incredible Power of Faith in Action (2013).
- The Power of Unstoppable Faith (2014).
- Stand Strong (2015).
- Love Without Limits (2016).
Note : To Explore more about Nick Vujicic Click on this link ” http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/ “