National Youth Day
National Youth Day is celebrated on January 12 of every year since 1984. This is the birthday of great philosopher Swami Vivekananda.
Why Swami Vivekananda’s Birthday is Celebrated as National Youth Day?
On 1984 the Government of India declared January 12 as National Youth Day to support, motivate and inspire the younger generation of India with the philosophy of Swami Vivekananda. Life history of Swami Vivekananda serves as a personal development tool for younger generation.
How National Youth Day is celebrated across India?
On January 12, people remember Swami Vivekananda and his contributions to the country. The day is celebrated with great devotion at Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission. Various activities like meditation, parade, motivational speeches, songs..etc are performed on this day.
The 21st edition of National Youth Festival (NYF) was organized in Rohtak, Haryana from January 12 to January 16, 2017. The five day festival is being organized every year in the memory of Swami Vivekananda.
What are the Themes of National Youth Day?
- 2011 – “Subse Phelps Bharat”.
- 2012 – “Celebrating Unity In Diversity”.
- 2013 – “Awakening The Youth Power”.
- 2014 – “ Youth for Drug Free World”.
- 2015 – “Youth for Clean and Green India”.
- 2016 – “Indian Youth for Development, Skill and Harmony”.
- 2017 – “Youth For Digital India”
Who is Swami Vivekananda?
- Swami Vivekananda was born on 12 January 1863 in Kolkata.
- His earlier name before religious monastery was Narendranath Datta.
- Vivekananda was a religious leader and Hindu saint. He was a sincere despite of Ramakrishna Paramhamsa. After his death Vivekananda founded Ramakrishna Mission and Ramakrishna Math.
- He was the first person to introduce the importance of Hinduism in western countries.
- He represented India and gave a brief speech on Parliament of World’s Religion held in Chicago for which he got standing ovation.
- Swami Vivekananda believed in universalism and spiritual brotherhood.
- Karma yoga, Raja yoga, Bakthi yoga, Jnana yoga were his fine works.
- Vivekananda died on 4th of July 1902.
Are International Youth Day and National Youth Day the same?
No. They are not the same. International Youth Day is celebrated worldwide on August 12 since 1999. The beauty of National Youth Day is, it is celebrated in each country on different dates.
Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, the first governor-general of independent India, said that Swami Vivekananda was the person who had saved Hinduism and India. Subash Chandra Bose praised Swami Vivekananda as “the maker of modern India”.
Main Article : Complete List of National and International Days