The Government of India has constituted a committee to consider Scheduled Tribe status to six Communities of Assam. The committee will be headed by Special Secretary (Internal Security) Ministry of Home Affairs, Mahesh Kumar Singla. The committee will recommend the modalities for granting of Scheduled Tribe status to six Communities namely Koch Rajbongshi, Moran, Matak, Tai Ahom, Chutia and Adivasi (Tea Tribes) in Assam.
The Committee will submit its report by 31 May 2016. The committee will consult with the Government of Assam and suggest the modalities for the required reservations, of shifting the existing reservation for these communities from OBC to ST.
Did You Know?
- Assam has a state Anthem. The anthem has been composed by Lakshminath Bezbaroa and goes like this — ‘O Mur Apunar Dex’ (O my endearing motherland).
- Dispur is the official capital of Assam. However, the High Court, National Law University, IIT, DGP Headquarters and other important offices are all located in Guwahati.
- The major rivers of Assam are Brahmaputra and Barak rivers.
- Famous sanctuaries in Assam are Kaziranga National Park, Chakrashila Wildlife Sanctuary, Hoollongapar Gibbon Sanctuary, Deepor Beel Bird Sanctuary, Nambor Wildlife Sanctuary, etc.
- Assam attracts wild life tourism and Kazirangais a World Heritage Site.
- Assam is the largest tea producing state in India, accounting to almost 50 percent of the total production.