West Bengal and Bihar Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi has sworn in as the 16th governor of the northeastern state Mizoram. The 80-year-old Tripathi replaces Aziz Qureshi, who was sacked last week. His term would have ended in 2017. Justice Michael Zothankhuma of the Guwahati High Court administered the oath of office to Tripathi, at the Durbar Hall of the Raj Bhavan in Aizawal.
The swearing in ceremony was attended by Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, his cabinet colleagues, legislators and senior government officials.
Keshari Nath Tripathi
- Keshari Nath Tripathi was member of Uttar Pradesh legislative assembly for six times and had represented BJP.
- He also had served as the Speaker of the UP Legislative Assembly three consecutive times in 1991, 1997 and 2002.
- He also had held position of Cabinet Minister from 1977-1979 in UP Government.
- Tripathi had practised as a lawyer in the Allahabad High Court from 1956.
- From 1987 to 1989, he was the President of the Allahabad High Court Bar Association.