Haritha Keralam Mission, an ambitious programme envisaged by the Kerala government to make the state clean, protect its water sources and soil, was launched by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. Brand ambassador of the scheme, eminent Carnatic vocalist and playback singer K J Yesudas and noted actress Manju Warrier were among those present on the occasion.
- Haritha Keralam (Green Kerala) mission envisages a clean and green state through waste management, organic farming and conservation of water resources with people’s support.
- Launching the scheme, which has been planned as part of the Nava Kerala Mission, Vijayan expressed hope that it will be able to reclaim the lost agricultural heritage of the state.
- Haritha Keralam is envisaged as a people participatory programme along the lines of literacy mission, democratic decentralisation and people planning.
- As part of the scheme, the government will conduct a survey covering 60 lakh houses, to collect data about existing waste management systems in the state.
- Besides the disposal of solid waste, the government is also planning to undertake a number of initiatives including reviving water resources like ponds, rivers, lakes and streams and increasing the area of land under cultivation as part of the programme.