Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel has commissioned INS Sardar Patel Naval Base in Porbandar, Gujarat. The naval base at Porbandar is strategically important and it will boost security of Gujarat’s 1600-km coastline. INS Sardar Patel is the second naval base in Gujarat after INS Dwarka, which is near to Okha.
The commissioning of INS Sardar Patel would enable the Navy to supplement its infrastructure and organisational effectiveness in Gujarat. The name Sardar Patel has been chosen to signify the role of India’s Iron Man Vallabhai Patel, the first Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of India.
- Gujarat has a coastline of 1600 km interspersed with 43 ports.
- Kandla is a major portin Gujarat. The state also has 11 intermediate and 31 minor ports.
- The ports of Gujarat handle 300 million tons of cargo annually, which is 43% of the total maritime trade handled by the various ports of India.
- The Shipping Corporation of India operates and manages vessels that services both national and international lines.
- The headquarters of Shipping Corporation of India is in Mumbai.
- How many major ports are there in India? 13
- The Paradip Port is in which state of India? Odisha
- What is the only corporatised major port in India? Kamarajar Port in Ennore, Chennai. (Previous name – Ennore Port)