IAS officer Suhas LY struck gold in the Asian Para-Badminton Championships that was held in Beijing by defeating Indonesian player Harry Susanto in straight sets by 21-4 and 21-11. Suhas, who is posted as the Azamgarh district magistrate, got a wildcard entry to the championships and ensured his seat in the finals by winning six consecutive matches.
The 2007 batch officer defeated Wang Hwan Sing of Korea in the semifinals.
- He practised with some local badminton enthusiasts after office every day at a stadium in Azamgarh.
- Suhas was part of the 26-member Indian team that landed in the Chinese capital to participate in the tournament. Besides Suhas, Abu Hubaida was another member from UP in the team.
- National Paralympics Committee of China hosted the championship, which took place between November 22 and November 27, in which players from India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, South Korea and several other countries participated.
Para-Badminton World Championships
- The Para-Badminton World Championships is an individual bi-annual event organized by the BWF. The highest ranked para-badminton players compete in six Sport Classes in five categories.
- The championships was organized under Para Badminton World Federation (PBWF) before it decided to join with BWF in June 2011.