GK Quiz on Plant Diseases
Plant diseases control is crucial to the reliable production of food, and it provides significant reductions in agricultural use of land, water, fuel and other inputs. Organisms that cause infectious disease include fungi, oomycetes, bacteria, viruses, viroids, virus-like organisms, phytoplasmas, protozoa, nematodes and parasitic plants. Not included are ectoparasites like insects, mites, vertebrate, or other pests that affect plant health by consumption of plant tissues. For these kinds, it may be best to speak to an expert to get them under control (like those who provide pest control crenshaw california often relies on) to learn more about their weird idiosyncrasies.
1. The scientific study of diseases in plants is known as?
2. Ascomycetes and the Basidiomycetes are a type of?
3. Which disease easily recognizeable by the suddent death of all plant tissue including leaves, stems and flowers?
4. Which disease is identifiable by a dead area on the stem that is often discoloured?
5. Which disease causes swelling that occurs on plants?
a) Leaf Curl
6. Which disease cause leaves to start to drop down and the plant begins to appear lifeless?
7. Which disease cause grey or white powdery coating on the plant?
a) Root Rot
8. Which fungal pathogens infect and kill host tissue and extract nutrients from the dead host cells?
c) Magnaporthe grisea
9. What organism causes the type of die-back of a tree’s branches known as canker?
d) All the above
10. This is Botrytis cinerea. What is its usual name in the gardening world?
a) Grey disease
b) Grey mildew
c) Grey mould
d) Grey rot
11. Sandal spike disease of Sandal (Santalum album) is caused by?
12. Small, multicellular wormlike animals are known as?
13. Parasitic plants such as mistletoe and dodder are included in the study of?
14. The curse of rose growers is rose Black Spot but do you know what type of organism it is caused byb
15. Attractive looking fungus is a deadly threat to gardeners. What is its name?
a) Beeswax fungus
b) Honey fungus
c) Sugar fungus
d) Syrup fungus
16. Early blight of potato is — disease
a) Soil borne
b) air borne
c) seed borne
d) all of these
17. Wilt of pigeon pea is caused by?
a) Rhizopus nigricans
b) Fusaruim udum
c) Aspergillus flavus
d) Gibberella indica
18. What is the name given to the group of fungi that create leaf disfiguration similar to that seen below?
a) Plant blemish
b) Plant freckle
c) Plant rust
d) Plant spot
19. Black rust or stem rust of wheat is caused by?
a) Puccinia striformis
b) Puccinia recondite
c) Puccinia graminis tritici
d) All of these
20. The curse of rose growers is rose Black Spot but do you know what type of organism it is caused by?