The venerable Eden Gardens ground will host the first ever day-night Test in the country when India take on New Zealand later this year. The Tour Programme and Fixtures Committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced the fixture stating that New Zealand will play three Test matches and five One-Day Internationals. The New Zealand series will be followed by five Test matches, three One-Day Internationals and three T20 Internationals against England. In total India will be playing 13 Tests in the upcoming season.
Prior to this Australia hosted New Zealand in the first ever day and night test match held in Adelaide in 2014 and this format of test cricket is still in an experimental stage for the ICC.
Did You Know?
- Chris Gayle is the only batsman to hit a six off the first ball of a Test match.
- Sunil Gavaskar was out off the first ball of a Test match thrice in his career
- ML Jaisimha and Ravi Shastri are the only Indians to bat on all five days of a Test.
- The only cricketer to play Test cricket for India and England is Saif Ali Khan’s grandfather, Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi.
- Lala Amarnath is the only bowler to dismiss Don Bradman hit wicket in Test cricket.